585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Why is toolpath not shown at tooltip?

Why is toolpath not shown at tooltip?

I'm evaluating Madcam and this "feature" of showing the toolpath at tool "centre" is proving to be a deal breaker for me. It doesn't even make any sense when the tool is bull nose. Some of the tooling I need to do is direct drawing at the tooltip and converting to tool, and as you can imagine, it ends up being completely counter intuitive. Is there a good reason for this strange behaviour or a way to permanently disable it? Curve location option, if I understand it correctly, doesn't help except adding an extra level of complication to a non-standard behaviour.

I believe there's a setting for that in the options. Let's know if you can't find it and I'll go to my other PC with MadCAM on it and find out for you.

Best regards,

Jason.

Displaying paths from the tool tip might be great for 2D pocketing and profiles, but that's about it. Check out the post just below this one called "toolpath showing center of the cutter" for a discussion on this topic. I attached a couple of illustrations to show the problem with displaying from the tool tip when doing 3D work.

You do realize the post gives the option to output code from either, correct?

I should add, that this "strange behaviour" is the way many programs do it, but there are some others that give the user the option. Personally, I've been using WorkNC for 17 years so this behaviour seems right to me!

Here is a link on the topic that might be of interest:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...e-poll-173224/

I made this post when Joakim and I were discussing this very topic.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)