584,842 active members*
4,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Considering a PlasmaCam,should I pull the trigger?

Considering a PlasmaCam,should I pull the trigger?

Hi,

My name is Alex from Houston,TX.I have been doing as much reading as possible on the plasma cam then I finally ran into this forum.I dont trust the mixed reviews online from unknown people.I figured a forum with actual owners would be a better place to ask for feedback.I have a couple of questions for you guys,all answers/help is appreciated.

-How are you guys liking the plasmacam all together?

-Any big flaws I should know about?

-I saw various prices online,whats a good number to expect to pay for the unit?

Those are my main concerns at the moment.I have seen other machines online but the plasma cam has caught my attention more.The Blaze2 is next on the list to investigate.

-Alex

What are your needs and what background do you have with CNC machines?
    You do not need to know or learn gcode to run the Plasmacam.

george

I've been running Plasmacam machines since early 2004.
    I started with their second generation model (DHC) and, Hypertherm Powermax 1000.
    I then extended the table to 4 X 8 then, three years ago, I sold my trusty DHC and upgraded to the Samson 5 X 10 model and, haven't looked back.
    I now run a Hypertherm Powermax 1650.
    The machines are reliable, accurate and, factory support has been excellent.
    There's a number of online groups, the best of which is the Yahoo group, "PlasmaPIG" ......you have to be an owner to gain membership.
    If you decide on Plasmacam, I seriously doubt you'll regret your decision.
    Mick.
    Aussie.

I'm happy with my 98-z which is a 1st gen model. The guy I bought it from bought a 4x4 torchmate because he wanted to run a machine torch and he said he really missed the plasmacam table. esp the software. he said the software was really nice compared to torchmate.

The only problem that I can complain about with my 98-z is I from time to time get a lost connection error that drives me crazy. I have read of other people having the same problem so that leads me to believe its a problem with the software or the control box.

I love it

I have been using the PlasmaCAM for a number or years now and had no problem with it whatsoever and we really use it a lot (as much as 6 hours per day)
    Eddie Paul

alleycat
    i am a plasmacam user in the houston area (seabrook) my partner and i are looking to find a home for our plasmacam in this area as we still need the ocasional work done on it. if you are interested in it let me know at [email protected]

NO !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kick-n-safari View Post
    NO !!!!!
    I read your other posts and don't regret my final decision which wasn't the plasmacam.

I ended up with the Plasmaroute blaze HD.Haven't had a problem at all since then.Assembly & lining up machine? Was as simple as bolting the torch on.If you get it mailed you do need to bolt the legs on which isnt much of a task.I had no prior experience and I was cutting stuff out minutes after powering it up.
    JMD-18 CNC Converted & PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
    Ran by very custom dust covered cpu's

At the end of the day, I have no regrets either. But I choose plasmacam. I researched all of them, I even own another CNC plasma system that is not a plasmacam. What it all came down to was the software.

With my other brand of machine, I was dealing with a mach 3 style control software and dealing with a multitude of other design programs that had to go along with it in order to cut the stuff out...it started to be a huge pain to have to train people every time that we hired somebody new (this happens a lot because there is either a proliferation of underachievers or they don't call me 'Dick' for nothing).

I really have an affinity for plasmacam's software. The designedge is easy to teach and very simple to use....it takes the G-code right out of the equation, which is really nice for the new guy. I like being able to design and control my machine within the same program.

My other brand of machine that I own has a mach3 'style' control, which for a guy like me is okay because I have plenty of experience doing it throughout the years...but for the inexperienced guy that I need to train...it can become a time consuming headache. The other machine is good, but it is just like my wife, very picky about stuff and it seems like I always have to do things a certain way or in a certain order so things don't turn into a complete disaster... this machine makes me its B*tch sometimes .... But the plasmacam is my B*tch, I run that thing hard...it does what I want it to do on command. And I can teach my new guys how to use it a lot easier.

I am sure that owners of other brands of machines will say great things about their own machines, even on a plasmacam forum! But for my situation plasmacam has definitely been a wonderful tool.

- Richard

I'll add to what I said a couple of years ago.
    I'm still running the same Samson table but, have now moved on to a Hypertherm Powermax 85, combined with advanced Design Edge software.
    Although I was happy with my previous combination, the new software and 85 has made a MASSIVE difference, not just to cut quality but also machine control and design abilities.
    The Design Edge software really is the bees knees.
    It's cut out using third part software for art design and, the advanced machine controls are spot on....From what I've read in online forums, it's capabilities are only matched on high end, high dollar machines.
    The Samson has been run hard over the last five years and, in that time, I've only recently had to renew a couple of cam follower bearings.
    I also manufacture and sell a magnetic breakaway mount to suit any number of tables and, changing to a machine torch has also made a world of difference.
    I have no affiliation with Plasmacam and, couldn't care less what one guy prefers over another, just passing on my own findings.

Quote Originally Posted by AmesMFG View Post
    At the end of the day, I have no regrets either. But I choose plasmacam. I researched all of them, I even own another CNC plasma system that is not a plasmacam. What it all came down to was the software.

With my other brand of machine, I was dealing with a mach 3 style control software and dealing with a multitude of other design programs that had to go along with it in order to cut the stuff out...it started to be a huge pain to have to train people every time that we hired somebody new (this happens a lot because there is either a proliferation of underachievers or they don't call me 'Dick' for nothing).

I really have an affinity for plasmacam's software. The designedge is easy to teach and very simple to use....it takes the G-code right out of the equation, which is really nice for the new guy. I like being able to design and control my machine within the same program.

My other brand of machine that I own has a mach3 'style' control, which for a guy like me is okay because I have plenty of experience doing it throughout the years...but for the inexperienced guy that I need to train...it can become a time consuming headache. The other machine is good, but it is just like my wife, very picky about stuff and it seems like I always have to do things a certain way or in a certain order so things don't turn into a complete disaster... this machine makes me its B*tch sometimes .... But the plasmacam is my B*tch, I run that thing hard...it does what I want it to do on command. And I can teach my new guys how to use it a lot easier.

I am sure that owners of other brands of machines will say great things about their own machines, even on a plasmacam forum! But for my situation plasmacam has definitely been a wonderful tool.

- Richard
    So now we all know who wheres the pants...lol (sorry to hear that) not really...ha ha , it must make you feel good your not the B!tch ? huh?....that explains why you like the plasmacam so much, cause you can turn the table..(so to speak) as they say..( opinions are like a$$h@les- ) good for you... I'm out of this post..so any reply's towards me ( richard-D!ck) will not be seen, so don't waste your time being mean..

It never ceases to amaze mae how a simple question, posted a couple of years ago, can elicit such antagonism towards an opinion.
    Lots of guys take the time to research what others think of their machines but, when someone else posts an honest answer, it has to turn into a pi$$ing contest.
    Makes me wonder what the agenda really is?????
    Maybe it's best some guys just stay out of threads like this.

Good point.
    While I tend to value honest opinions from honest people, I am always cautious of the recently added members who join a forum only to talk badly about a machine or a product having never explained their problem nor asked for help (in many instances there is a competing motive involved). Most of us join a place like this to solve problems, listen to others and help out and not bad mouth something so prolifically (unless it is your job to do so). We all have something in common here and it is unfair for the community of true owners and others considering a good product to hear such ignorant remarks form those who don't own a machine or have no business owning a machine in the first place. I'd like to see things from kick n safari's point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my a$$.

so kick n safari good pal: I hate to see you go, but I love to watching you leave!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AmesMFG View Post

- Richard
    Richard,

Thanks for the info! It sounds like the software for the Plasmacam is very user friendly. Can you draw something up and just hit cut button? or is there other programs that would benefit you that you would need to use?

It sounds like you use your machine quit a bit in a business/manufacturing environment. How is it holding up?

What about your height control? It looks like plasmacam's is pretty reasonably priced. Is it the same as what the other outfits have?

Thanks!

Max
    Denver, CO
    [email protected]

Max,
    The Plasmacam Design Edge program that comes with all new machines is all you'll need.
    It's a huge improvement over the older versions and, apart from the easy to use drawing abilities, it also allows importing and live tracing of bmp & jpg files.
    I've run my Samson table hard for over five years now and, only recently needed to replace one of the roller bearings....I actually ended up replaceing three but, that was more a preventative measure than anything.
    The DHC2 height control, combined with Design Edge software is second to none and, from what I've read on forums, is comparable to high end machines.

Mick.

You better check carefully what version of the DesignEdge software you are getting. There are different levels of the software available. You don't get the top level without paying extra. The top level is not automatically included with a new machine.

I recently wanted to buy a used machine here in Germany and it was a very big run-around trying to get prices and information form PlasmaCam. Too much cloak and dagger crap from the company for my likes.

It might be a good machine but they sure make it difficult to get information and they will give you misinformation.

Re: Considering a PlasmaCam,should I pull the trigger?

I just now joined because I am looking to purchase a PlasmaCam and Hypertherm Powermax 45, as I am interested in starting some metal art projects; however, I have no experience whatsoever. I'm trying to find out about these machines as a very beginner, everything I need (Including safety apparatus), safety issues and hazards, what problems I may encounter, and the difficulty level. How hard or easy is it to get into something like this with no related knowledge or experience? Thanks for reading.

Re: Considering a PlasmaCam,should I pull the trigger?

Out of any of them plasmacam is by far considered to be the most user friendly, and considering all of the factors, also in my opinion, by far gives you the best value for your money.. If you're starting out, your really cant go wrong with one of them. They have been in business around since 1998, with a very solid and successful track record. There machines have been tried ans tested for years and for good reason are one most popular entry level machines on the market.