584,812 active members*
5,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport VMC1000/20 Vertical Machining Centre with Heidenhain TNC2500 Control

Bridgeport VMC1000/20 Vertical Machining Centre with Heidenhain TNC2500 Control

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me!

I'm going to have a look at a 1992 Bridgeport VMC1000/20 on Monday and have a few questions about the control Heidenhain TNC 2500:

1. I would like to connect this machine via RS232 to a computer so I can feed programs from Mastercam X3. Where would I find the serial port on the machine if it has one?

2. Does Mastercam X3 (full version) have a post processor for the TNC 2500 control? Also where can I find a guide on how to set the machine control up to talk to my pc?

3. Are there any common faults with this control and the Bridgeport VMC I should be aware of and look out for?

I've also attached some pics of the machine, to jog the memory!

Thanks in advance,

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VMC 1.jpg   VMC 2.jpg   VMC 3.jpg  

First, go to the heidenhain website and download manuals. IIRC the 2500 is really a TNC360

It does have an rs232, but the newer ones it is right on the front. dunno where yours is, search for the 25 pin connector

Heidenhain is pretty fussy on comm issues, search this forum for comments

the control does ISO g code, and the are posts around

the plug is on the right side at the back under a small door, this is also where the backup batteries are. hope this helps. jeff

Ah memories...

Can be a bit leaky and jam up in Y-axis if it isn't cleaned out regular.

From pics it looks like tool change button is missing a bulb and cover. This could well be the actual machine I used to run... if it is there will be a circular cut about .1 deep in the table

DP

Thanks everyone, I will bear all your comments it in mind when I view it tomorrow.

The dealer told me that the parameters for the spindle motor encoder will be reset tomorrow morning before I view. Would I be right in thinking that this could be due to the battery back-up failing?

Quote Originally Posted by bptnc2500 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I will bear all your comments it in mind when I view it tomorrow.

The dealer told me that the parameters for the spindle motor encoder will be reset tomorrow morning before I view. Would I be right in thinking that this could be due to the battery back-up failing?
    There are parameters for spindle drive or the controller, but spindle motor encoder?

you will see a battery low alarm on the screen after you switch on the machine, if you do have a dead back up battery

Great machines, easy to use an old computer running the Heidenhain DNCserver to drip to machine, ethernet from your MC machine to the server.

You can also upload and download the machines parameters using the same connection, I am not down for more then 5 mins if I loose all parameters.

The encoders on the X,Y,Z drive motors are very hard to get, $2500 per & 8 week lead time. We are attempting a retrofit with a $300 encoder.

Looks beautiful!

After much deliberation, I decided in the end nnot to buy this machine.

I have instead gone for a Cincinatti Sabre 1000. Was a little cleaner with less visible wear.

Thanks everyone for your help on the matter!