586,005 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can I use a laptop?

I have read some posts regarding problems with laptops running stepper drivers. I had planned on using my laptop (running XP)to control my NC mill. Is there some way to tell if it will work? (I have not bought software or controller yet)

Thanks,

Richard

Disclaimer, I'm a CNC n00b myself, but I'm running an old Laptop (Pentium3 500Mhz, 64MB ram, 600X800 ONLY screen). Here's my $.02:

It seems to work great in DOS running TurboCNC, but it's really not enough computer for XP to run efficiently, but more of a show stopper than that is the monitor resolution. Mach 2 (one of the more popular windows based controll software) has buttons that don't fit on the 600X800 res screen out of the box. I understand there may be a fix for this available on the YahooGroup, but I've not checked that out yet.

Other problem with the CNC is that it keeps shutting down the screen while running a program... but it seems to keep running fine. This should be fixable in the BIOS, but I have not yet figured out how to do this - maybe this is hard wired on Toshiba Satelites? Doesn't seem to disturb the operation of the CNC program in TurboCNC, but it is annoying having to hit a key every now and then to 'wake up' the monitor!

For these reasons I'm planning on finding me a cheapie used desktop to use in place of the laptop.

Thanks for the reply. Do have to re-boot in DOS?

You need to check the lpt port and ensure that it uses 5 volts as many laptops use a ~2.3 volt lpt port if they have one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rweatherly
    Thanks for the reply. Do have to re-boot in DOS?
    Yes I use a DOS boot disk, and I actually erased my XP operating system on that machine since I was planning on using it exclusively with the CNC. But like I said, I may be swapping the laptop out for a cheapie desktop if I can find one for almost free (as that is about all I can afford!)