585,722 active members*
4,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tsugami SS32 problem

Hello All,

I'm having a problem with my Tsugami SS32. I'm running a detailed aluminum job with 11/16 6061 aluminum. The machining on the main and sub sides are running properly, but I'm having pieces push back into the sub spindle when I go to pick up. I checked for chips, diameter variation, collet tension...etc.

The parts are approx 2" long and they are being pushed back, and the machine continues to machine until they get backed up so much that the machine alarms (side 1 Z axis alarm). This only happens once every couple days. I can't ever get there to watch it happen, and my operators don't ever witness this.

Any ideas....??

Screw Machine Shop - Screw Machine Parts and CNC Machining - Progressive Turnings -
    Progressive Turnings, Inc.
    www.progressiveturnings.com

Check that chips are NOT getting pushed back into the spindle. They would prevent the chuck from closing if they build up too far. Clean out the spindle once a day to be sure.

I figured out the problem this afternoon... I'm doing boring and drilling on the back end. I thought my "thru spindle coolant" was enough, but apparently the chips were building up too much. The spindle would close just fine, but the chips would build up so much when inserts wear that there were big a@# chips blocking the pusher and it wouldn't even push.

Screw Machine Shop - Screw Machine Parts and CNC Machining - Progressive Turnings -

aluminum is a pain, we've ran italmost exclusively for the last two years

when i run open parts in my ss32 i find that i have to teardown the closer every few days. it typically gets jammed in the between the ejector and the push tube

i also teardown the toggles every time i setup the machine

I think working with the toggles can be a real pain! I actually need to do that tomorrow morning, I think. I don't have a load of experience with the toggles on the sub side. Do you have any advice?

Thanks,

Luke

i found the fastest easiest way is to leave the cover sub cover on and do it keyhole style,
    pull the collet and sleeve
    pull the ejector,
    remove the adjuster,
    loosen the 6mm's on the air cylinder(it doesnt have to come off just loose enough to get to the 3mm holding the pivot)
    pull the pin off the closer cylinder
    push the pivot pin up
    then you can pull the yoke out the side
    push the push tube out, the toggles will fall in to the spindle,
    pull out the closer bearing dealy,
    i take a rag and a dowel and use it like a gun bore cleaner
    put a little grease on the underside of the toggle to make it stick on reassembly

note: this is all from memory and my brain is not working that well today(head cold)

the cover takes longer to get on and off than actually doing the toggles,
    i can do them in about 15-20 minutes depending on how much gunk there is.

btw the worst part about aluminum is the chips float and plug the coolant tank, ive had to shovel out 2 inches of fines after a week of running. current solution is a fishnet from the pet store

Luke, I need your help in figuring out Iemca bar feeder problems. At times the feeder drops the remnant when it retracts and leaves it in the main spindle. I also need help in figuring out why the remnant is short and long. Your help in greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I've run into this problem before,
    where the main collet was gunked up and wouldn't open all the way,
    the other there was road rash on the bar.

just a thought

Iemca

Any luck with the Iemca? I've having problems with one as well. I actually have a tech coming in on Monday. Ours is on a Citizen B12 and as soon as the machine cycle starts the barfeed thrusts forward & breaks the cutoff. It's killing me!