585,933 active members*
3,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New to Esprit

We just purchased Esprit 2011 last week to program our new Integrex 200. I've never worked with Esprit before, so I may have a few questions as I go along.

I'll start with this one. How do you make your options stick between sessions? I would like a bit darker background and some mouse assignments a little different then default. I can set that up no problem, and even saved a template file, but when I open a new session and select my template, it's all back to default.

We will be getting trained in January, but I was hoping to get a bit of a jump on it and learn what I can on my own. I hate going into training being a complete noob.

Thanks,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

When you have Tools - Options open, there's a Default button at the bottom of the dialog. Click that, make sure Save current as user defaults, and click OK. Then click OK to close Tools - Options.

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Is zooming with the mouse wheel possible?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan
    When you are in the menu where you change your colors and other options, click on default and choose the option save current as user defaults.

Bosse

Yes that worked well. Any suggestions about the mouse wheel zooming? Esprit's GUI is very outdated looking (WinNT era) but I sure hope there is a way to zoom with the mouse wheel. That's pretty standard these days.

Thanks,

Dan

Zooming

Hi Dan
    Search in the helpfile for zoom and you will find out how to do, there is no problem zooming with the scroll wheel, E2011 may look a bit old but it works quite well theses days, for multitasking turning you will find it's one of the best systems! // Bosse E

Thanks, I will dig into it.

I have no doubts it will work well. It's just a bit disheartening to spend that kind of money and see some of the worst icons I've ever seen!

Oh well, that's not important as long as they work!!

Dan

Nothing in the help file about how to make the scroll zoom (only for how to reverse it).

The scroll works for every other application, so I don't think it's a driver issue.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Nothing in the help file about how to make the scroll zoom (only for how to reverse it).

The scroll works for every other application, so I don't think it's a driver issue.

Dan
    This is the result of a search for "zoom" in the 2010 Help - Search tab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Esprit Mouse Usage.jpg  

Yes, I saw that. Problem is that it just doesn't work. I think it must be the Microsoft Intellipoint software. If I plug a wired mouse in, it works. It won't work with the wireless mouse. I just bought another, and it doesn't work either.

Dan

Yes, I saw that. Problem is that it just doesn't work. I think it must be the Microsoft Intellipoint software. If I plug a wired mouse in, it works. It won't work with the wireless mouse. I just bought another, and it doesn't work either.

Dan
    There is for sure a place in the setting to do this because I did it on our trial of 2010 so it would act just like my Solidworks 2010. Have another look through the settings. Its in there.

Ok found it. Options-workspace. Second from the bottom is the options for middle mouse button.

John

Here is where I'm at with this: A corded mouse zooms with the scroll button without problems. A wireless mouse doesn't. I thought maybe it was the MS Intellipoint software conflicting somehow so I uninstalled it and just used Windows drivers for the mouse. Still no luck.

So I bought a new wireless mouse. Still doesn't work.

I don't know what to do from here. The wireless mouse scroll button zooms in Rhino, SpaceClaim, E-drawings etc. just not in Esprit.

So my 2 choices are to use a corded mouse with my laptop, or get used to zooming one of the other ways that are offered.

Dan

I've used Esprit since about 2005. It's pretty powerful but I've complained about the lackluster GUI - especially with new monitors with their insane resolutions. I've sent suggestions based on the solidworks GUI and I always got a runaround... I sent in 2 suggestions like 4 years ago ("normal to" view and work plane from current view) and they JUST got implemented. I think their engineers are afraid to change anything in the GUI (the old ain't broke, dont fix it mentality).

Aside from that, it's great for what it does and it's getting more and more powerful as the years progress.

@Dan B - get a 3Dconnexion spacenavigator... they rock!

I agree, those are nice. Dan, I use a wireless mouse in E2011 on windows 7 and it works just fine zooming using the scroll wheel.

Maybe try checking for a new update and installing that? Maybe you have an old build of 2011 and had some fluke driver issue.

Thanks for the tips. My SpaceNavigator should be here by the end of the week.

Dan

Well, I got my SpaceNavigator today. Works great in Rhino V5, SpaceClaim, WorkNC but does not work in Esprit.

I think I need to re-install Esprit.

Dan

Well, I got my SpaceNavigator today. Works great in Rhino V5, SpaceClaim, WorkNC but does not work in Esprit.

I think I need to re-install Esprit.

Dan
    Did check it on in the add ins list in Esprit.

John

Perfect, thanks!!

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12