585,978 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feedback Wanted

I posted this on another thread but wanted to share with the Techno Family, since it is likely that some of you have experience with the HSD ATC Spindles.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

I recently bought a "New" HSD ATC ES915 from an out of state vendor. We communicated frequently and in detail leading up to the sale.

I sent the money for the spindle, cables, three ISO 30 ER32 tool holders and a VFD. When the spindle arrived:

1. I discovered that the top of the fan housing had a broken rib and a piece of the plastic was inside the spindle.
    2. Three (3) of the fan blades had nicks that lined up perfectly with the broken rib on top of the fan housing.
    3. The socket head screws holding the fan housing on, were showing signs of what appeared to be rust.
    4. There were a significant quantity of aluminum shavings on the external cooling ribs of the fan housing.
    5. There were numerous scratches all over the housing.
    6. The inspection sticker had been removed, leaving a lot of scratches, and another sticker placed in the same location.
    7. The black oxide finish was 90% gone from the steel bearing housing on the nose of the spindle, with obvious signs of wear and nicks.
    8. There were two (2) locations showing dates... 2006!
    9. The manufacturer states that there are three (3) pieces of documentation accompanying every spindle, including a Manufacturers Certificate of Inspection and a manual for installing, operating and maintaining the spindle... all three were missing.
    10. The tool holders were missing.
    11. ... and more....

I contacted the vendor about the damage and why the spindle had all the markings of a used or refurbished spindle. I also asked about the 2006 dates and all the issues above.

1. I was assured it was a "New" spindle and that all the wear was from "setting up" and "testing" the spindle and VFD.
    2. I was told that the manufacturer was no longer sending the aforementioned documentation.
    3. I was told that the fan was broken in transit, even though the box had no damage in the area where that end of the spindle was located.
    4. I could not get an answer about a 4+ year old "New" spindle.
    5. I was told that the tool holders were back ordered (and they did finally arrive). They were SK 30 Taper, not the ISO, and I could not get any response regarding the discrepancy nor questions regarding the pull studs.

I sent pictures to the vendor and was told to ship the spindle back and it would be replaced. Since I could not get answers to all of the questions I asked about the points above, I sent an e-mail canceling the transaction.

I requested a UPS Call Slip for the VFD, Cables and tool holders, as well as a full refund check.

The spindle is in transit and I am waiting on their response. They are still trying to seek an unjustified damage claim from UPS.

Questions:

Does this sound like a new spindle to you?
    Does black oxide wear off during "test" runs?
    Does HSD (or any manufacturer) typically supply their vendors with 4+ year old "New" spindles?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Dave

new hsd spindles look new, they come packed in a way that it would have to fall off a truck on the interstate at 70 to have some damage, they are a seriously professional company, there are no scratches nor wear, hsd is in fla and a fellow named luca runs the n american operations. if you have the serial number they can tell you the history of the spindle.
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

James,

That was my suspicions as well. I will be contacting HSD on Monday to see what they have to say about this "supposed vendor" and what he is doing to the HSD name.

The vendor is located in Tennessee and I am hoping that I haven't kissed off a lot of money.

They post Manuals for products/companies they "claim" to represent and they have online Manuals for HSD and Colombo... Funny they didn't print one and include it in the box they shipped.

Dave

Update

I just finished a call with Luca from HSD-USA and have a clear understanding how they handle spindle sales.

I will be in contact with the vendor that sold me the spindle and let him know that Luca and I have talked. The vendor is an HSD "customer" not a dealer. They can re-sell spindles but they do not "represent" HSD.

It is "highly unlikely" that the ES915, being one of the highest selling spindles, would be a "New 2006 model."

The vendor stated on 9-27-10 that he was waiting on information from HSD so he could finalize the quote, which would lead anyone to believe he was working directly with the manufacturer and supplying a new spindle. He was asked specifically if the spindle was new and replied that it was.

He does not have a leg to stand on. The smart thing to do is to issue the UPS Call Slip for the VFD, Cables and Tool Holders and issue the refund.

We will see what he chooses to do.

Dave

these fellows near chattanoga or shoddydaisy tn?
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    these fellows near chattanoga or shoddydaisy tn?
    PM me for their location.

I don't want to name them until they decide to play their cards. If they do the right thing and refund my money and issue the Call Slip for the other parts, we can let the sleeping dog lie. If not, then I will warn others to steer clear, as I pursue other recourse's.

Given what I know now, there is no way that spindle was new.

Dave