585,883 active members*
4,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Small Precision Machine Shop first CNC/CAD/CAM?

Small Precision Machine Shop first CNC/CAD/CAM?

We are currently looking to purchase a CNC lathe for our machine shop. The requirements are primarily that it be able to hold tight tollerances, repeatability, and price. Materials for us range all over, aluminum, Stainless, Alloy Steel, Titanium etc. and thus were looking for something that would fit all those. Live tooling and the like, while not absolutely necessary will probably help open up new job options in the future. Size wise, probably at least 0-10"Dia x 0-24" Lg or so for pieces.
    So what do people suggest for such a shop? Both in CNC hardware but also CAD/CAM software. Really looking for some good input before throwing tons of money toward the project.
    Thanks for your input,
    -Chris

Need to know a few more things....

What is your budget? (or target price range), How intricate are the parts (other than live tooling work, do you need a 'multi-center' type for some milling capabilities?), typical quantities (quick turn, hi-volume production or prototype?). Do you plan on a large increase in line count ( more part numbers?)?

Good point

Good point, I pretty much knew as soon as I posted that thread that I had forgotten much.
    Budget: Lets say sub 100k, (closer to 40-50k is probably better) we are looking used, probably 6 years old max.
    Parts: We are a parts shop so pieces range from screws and bolts to reducers, occasionally we will have several different curved surfaces on the same part, each with seperate radii.
    Specialized tooling: Live tooling allows us to create key-ways and slots and such. I'm personally not familiar with 'multi-center' but if you mean beaing able to offset your piece to set up a secondary center, that does happen from time to time with some jobs.
    Volume: I suppose you can call us a prototype shop. Volumes range from 1-~200 with an average probably around 6.
    As for Part numbers. We do what the job requires, and probably have already logged over 10,000 different parts over our years of opperation. So nothing really stays the same from day to day.

As another note, We have been a percision machine shop for 30+ years so are quite good at manual machining. I myself was brought into help us move to CNC type machining and have a very strong base in computers and engineering. Quite competent in AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, Pro/e, Solidworks type programs as well as computer programming, and am currently apprenticing as a machinist during my off time. So from a software side of things, there shouldn't be to much difficulty.

Chris,
    Just some quick input here. You are a shop thats been around for 30 years and it sounds like you will be around for a while longer. With that said, don't buy somone els's problems, buy new and take on the monthly payments (your history should allow you to sleep at night), especially if you are holding tight tolerances. You can buy a Fadal VMC 2016 for around 45K and Hardinge talent for not much more. You can be more flexable with one of each rather than a lathe with live tooling option.

Good luck,
    Chris H

Mori Seki SL15 or SL25 MC you can find a good used one for 50 to 80 grand, Mori is a pretty good machine I have used them for 25 years or so. Here is a link to a sight that handles only used Mori. I have personally used both of these machiones and can tell you that they will what you need them to do. Now as far as CadCam software Mastercam is the best at about 15 grand a pop, If that is more than you can spend check out BOBCAD they have a link some place on this sight. It is much cheaper but has some pretty good functions.

http://www.equipmentmls.com/manufact...ORI-SEIKI.html

Price wise they are probably out of the question but nakamure-tome is a great machine and GibbsCam for programming is far easier to use than Mastercam.