586,024 active members*
4,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Getting work(gcode) from machine a to machine b

Getting work(gcode) from machine a to machine b

Just wanting to get ideas and feelings on the subject i have a few puters around the house the one on the net is my fast one the one in my shop is just a p300 works fine for controlling the machine but seems like i have more probs converting images to g code on it but at the same time i have to dump to cds (spendy over time) or get another network card and then my shop puter is open to the bugs from the net ect..... anyone else using usb memory sticks to do such ???? or just get a faster machine for the shop

Yeah memory sticks will be a good choice. On the subject of networking though, you don't have to connect the shop PC to the internet, just the network. There are ways to make it pretty secure.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yeah, just buying one of those internet router is a BIG step to network it all together and leave the problems out as it includes a firewall BUT network will cause interupts in the machine and may impact run-time operations.

IMHO, usb memory sticks would be pretty much the best solution for such a case, and they are not sensitive to dust (except the connector of course) BUT you must have a windows operating system as DOS will not handle those (for turboCNC in my case).

Para

I have three machines.
    1. 500mhz running CNC w/ wireless
    2. 1.5g connected to wireless router direct
    3. 3.0g Laptop w/ wireless

work on files on laptop and save to 1.5g machine (which has schedule backup to USB Drive) then access files on 1.5g from 500mhz CNC computer to load g-code, works great and no need to plug unplug things, wireless seem to not affect performance of cnc machine (i would imagine depends on your compuetr ie memory and speed).

Joe

Floppies!
    Had to buy a USB floppy drive for the new office computer, but...
    Floppies are tried and true; they of course do not hold tons of data but I also find them handy for storage of old Gcodes that probably are now useless but will be needed ten minutes after being erased from a cluttered memory stick.

Since they are in their last gasp they can be had for less money per MB than memory sticks, and who cares if a few cent disk is damaged in the shop. Plus it is not necessary to remember to bring the memory stick back to the office from the shop, just pull out another floppy...
    Yeah, I use a memory stick as well but it tends to be where I am not, and buying more just means that they will pile up in the shop.

floppy good!

memory stick better!

floppy bad! but make good jewlery for other cavewifes to envie!

Wireless 54gs router best! must keep cave up to date!

hehe :P
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I use a USB memory stick all the time. It's fastened on my keychain so its always with me.
    My only complaint is that some of my older computers either don't have a USB port or its on the back side.
    Sometime when I have nothing to do I am going to look for an extension cable.

I generally use a memory stick (have to boot into windows first), but if I have some big stuff to move to the shop computer, I use Re-writable cds. That way, I can erase the stuff and start over again. Keep a couple around as a modern day "sneaker net" especially when going to work and back or to a friends house.

As for USB cables, I found a cheap source and paid I think $1.50 for some three footers. Have them arranged to end in a convienient place and it works great.

http://www.astepnet.com/.sc/ms/hm/10...2/085795/nc/ee
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

thanks for the responce guys i do have wireless between the puters that are net connected so that may be the cheap way to go i had done some of the floppy stuff as i have tons of them around(thanks aol free disk) my cd are just cd-r so the rewrites are out unless i upgrade the cd as far as the wireless whats best as a sure block if its tied to the network isn't there a "backdoor" that will always be poss to hit

Make you set the network card to a fixed speed, and not auto-detect. Auto-Detect causes problems with Mach2, so may for other programs too.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)