585,906 active members*
3,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy What material for a pet name tag with 40w laser

Hi and thanks in advance.

I have bought a 40w laser and newlydraw from china

I run a teddy bear shop and want to sell a personalised name tag for a teddy bear.

I thought that i would buy the machine and get a blank name tag (Silver) and just type the name and it would be that simple.

However,

When i use newly draw i get two lines per character rather than 1 (i hope this makes sense) and this makes the font larger. I also got a few samples and the allow blanks dont seem to mark.

Have i bought the wrong machine (again)?
    Have i got the wrong materials ?
    Can this machine cut out a love heart and then engrave a message ? (if so how) ??

Are there any instructions for newdraw that are legible ?? plus hints and tips etc..

And lastly, I have Corel draw etc.. and have seen that people have used this. Can i go from corel without using newly draw.

I have never had a single sucess with this machine.

To give you some idea off what i want to achieve, i am looking for a love heart with a message engraved onto it with perhaps 'I Love You Mildred XXX' on it

Our site address is The Teddy Bear Shop - Personalised Teddy Bears and Soft Toys from Direct Bears - Buy from Directbears

Thanks

Neil
    http://www.directbears.co.uk

Pope Zax , where are you?????

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. My english is not good, so do a effort to understand it.
    Zax is a member here that I named him the pope of newlydraw. He will come and will help you. ( Zax you need to pay me a beer....:cheers: )
    Anodized aluminium is the best for pet tag. Example....

50 XL Chewbarka Hearts Anodized Aluminum 1-5/8" 4.2cm - eBay (item 110611704445 end time Nov-24-10 11:38:52 PST)

For pure aluminium or stainless steel and anothers, you need to use Cermark or similar. Example

cermark items - Get great deals on Manufacturing Metalworking, Printing Graphic Arts items on eBay.com!

You can use Corel..... hit export in the menu and in newlydraw hit import.

Take a care with your blanks. The beam will return and kill something in your machine ( lens, mirrors and even the co2 tube.

This machine do not cut metal.... only plastics, acrilics and a lot of others materials.

Well, I am going. Wait for experts in Newlydraw. They will help you. Again, welcome to the wonderful laser world.

The Coin-Op laser machines use anodized alluminium. The bottom line is, it's quick, easy and cheap so maximizes profit whilst producing an excellent product.
    If you haven't seen it already this video is worth watching [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo6zw03OtWU"]YouTube - Nate's Pet Tag Machine[/nomedia]

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

If you get tired of NewlyDraw, we will sell you a direct drop in replacement with our RetinaEngrave USB system with direct print technology.

Our software and control system are 100% designed in the USA.

We are that confident that it blows NewlyDraw systems out of the water that we will give you a 60 full moneyback guarantee for any reason on RetinaEngrave USB minus shipping and handling. Even if you just don't like the color of the board we will give your money back. It's that simple.

Full Spectrum Engineering
    Full Spectrum Engineering

Samples:
    www.fullspectrumengineering.com • View topic - More samples

Customer Samples:
    www.fullspectrumengineering.com • View topic - Contest: Free Replacement Laser Tubes for Life!

Neil,

I probably would not have recommended a laser in this case, but as you have it now it will work wth some limitations.

Here are the options:
    1. Engrave Stainless tags (or possibly Chrome plated ones) using an additive process - something like Thermark.
    2. Engrave anodized aluminum tags like the ones Chewbarka sells.
    3. Cut and engrave on a different material, like thin ply or a 2-ply engraving plastic.

I would suggest trying some ply to start with, available from Michaels or a hobby store to see if it will work for your requirements.

Newlydraw will work just fine, although you will probably need Corel for anything but the most basic designs. I am not sure what you mean by the double line text - if you mean the box size, don't worry about that, it is just showing the font baseline and it won't affect the actual output.

Now, what would I have recommended. Well it depends, a diamond drag engraver is ok for pre-made items or a CNC with rotary engraver and floating head would be able to cut shapes, engrave and much more.

Zax. (not sure about the Pope part but thanks nobacoutinho :cheers

Back to my nametags

Thanks for the replies. I reckon that i have bought the wrong machine - Any offers ???

I have also bought another machine - XYZ Thing from Marchant Dice.

I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED with this machine. The head wobbles when it moves, bearings roll our of it when it moves and i have had to rebuild it three times as it keeps coming loose. The 1st one sent to me was broken etc... and i feel as if they aren't interested.

Were can i buy a simpl, easy and Cheap machine. I have spent nearly £3000 up to now and still can't get it right.

Thanks

NeilThe Teddy Bear Shop - Personalised Teddy Bears and Soft Toys from Direct Bears - Buy from Directbears
    http://www.directbears.co.uk

What is the brand of your laser machine? Model?

Neil,

The laser you have will work ok - don't give up yet! :drowning:

Just buy some anodised aluminium blank tags, like these:

Pet tags - anodised aluminium

You will need about 2-1/2 turns on the pot @ 12cm/s and can expect great results. Text, clipart or anything you want can be engraved on these.

I would recommend making a jig to hold them. I use this material for quick and cheap fixtures:

HobbyCraft 50 Sheet Pack of Fab Foam - Arts and Crafts Products | HobbyCraft

Send me your email address via PM if you like and I can help get you up and running, provide templates for Newlydraw etc.

Zax.

Lightbulb Why didn't I think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    Neil,

I would recommend making a jig to hold them. I use this material for quick and cheap fixtures:

HobbyCraft 50 Sheet Pack of Fab Foam - Arts and Crafts Products | HobbyCraft
    Zax.

What a great idea, using the foam for quick/easy templates. :wee:

I have cut thousands of foam pieces for my wife to use with her Sunday School kids, but never thought to use it as jigs for small pieces.

It works great, and it's cheap!

Just remember to put an outline on the template to account for the kerf if needed, otherwise it will be a loose fit (probably ok for most jigs).

Another use for the adhesive backed foamies is as a sand blast mask, it works similar to the much more expensive rubber mask (used for memorials, grave markers, head stones etc). It does surprisingly well with most abrasive blast media.

Zax.

Smile Hope my answer will be helpful for you

Hi Neil,

I have some freinds who also engrave pet ear tag. If I remember correctly, the material is ABS(one kind of hard plastic), may you can have a try.

Dana