585,719 active members*
4,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > ERROR Cannot find parasolid data in solidworks file?

ERROR Cannot find parasolid data in solidworks file?

Ok, So I have been running Mastercam X for about 4 years now, and my customers send me .sldprt files from solidworks, that I open in mastercam, and save as a .mcx file. Now when I try and open .sldprt files, that I could open before flawlessly, it now says, "cannot find parasolid data in solidworks file".

I have tried it on 3 different computers with the same result. Makes no sence to me.

I mean just simple .sldprt files, Mastercam x will not open anymore from me. Is there a setting or something that could have changed?

I had this happen as well. Believe that it is because the version of solidworks is newer than what Mastercam X can open. Try going to mastercam website and make sure you have installed all the latest updates for version X. If that doesn't work you might have to update to update to X4 or X5. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by flatfnder View Post
    I had this happen as well. Believe that it is because the version of solidworks is newer than what Mastercam X can open. Try going to mastercam website and make sure you have installed all the latest updates for version X. If that doesn't work you might have to update to update to X4 or X5. Good luck!
    I think you're right. Although, I remember getting the error occasionally when using X4 to open SW2010 files, and I still get the problem when using X5 to try to open SW2011 files.

I had read a fix for this somewhere, but can't remember where or what the fix was

Generally, when Mastercam imports a parasolid file, it is expecting a solid entity in the file to convert......check with the customer that a solid exists in his file ??

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Generally, when Mastercam imports a parasolid file, it is expecting a solid entity in the file to convert......check with the customer that a solid exists in his file ??
    coming from solidworks, isn't virtually any model a solid? As long as it's not made with a bunch of surfaces attached together, shouldn't it be a solid?

There is a free download called Mastercam Direct for solidworks on the Mastercam website. Not sure if you have to be on a current maintenance program. Most likely knowing cnc software. Worth a try. I know you will get this error if your mastercam is too old for the solidworks file.

John

How about asking the customer to SaveAS in another transferable format?
    Parasolid binary for example.
    IGES works fine.
    Been doing this too long