585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5th axis kinda

Can I add another axis to my vf2ss ,? do I run it through a serial port? I know I will need a different drive as the motor will be different , Can I use a regular 4th axis card and drive and motor from Haas. Its only for indexing not full 4th,
    It wont need any syncing like a 5th axis as its a completely seperate unit.

basically its something like this. or if anyone is running this below please let me know how you like it. I made a manual one I am thinking of converting it,
    At the very least I am thinking I can use a control box and motor off a haas 5c ??

Beere Precision Products Tilt Multidex 360

Thanks
    Delw

I read somewhere that the Haas Applications dept can provide some information on this in the form of sample macros you could use (I'm not sure if macros are required, but they probably are). I've seen at least a few customized rotary additions controlled via RS-232 on the interwebs so the ability is definitely there in some form.

It probably won't help in your situation but I can tell you that the rotary axis drive units doesn't necessarily need to be coupled with a regular 4th or 5th axis setup if you're doing something unconventional. For instance the CNC can be wired for 5th axis, but you can use the two drive units to control two separate 4th axis rotaries.

You don't need 4th/5th axis .
    I ran a Beere Multidex on my Brother machine. The beere fixture comes with Yuasa rotary with control box. All you need is a relay and an M code. The rest is done by the Yasa control box. I'm not sure how to integrate the system into your Haas machine, but should be the same concept.
    The Beere fixtures are very good quality though!

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Can I add another axis to my vf2ss ,? do I run it through a serial port? I know I will need a different drive as the motor will be different , Can I use a regular 4th axis card and drive and motor from Haas. Its only for indexing not full 4th,
    It wont need any syncing like a 5th axis as its a completely seperate unit.

basically its something like this. or if anyone is running this below please let me know how you like it. I made a manual one I am thinking of converting it,
    At the very least I am thinking I can use a control box and motor off a haas 5c ??

Beere Precision Products Tilt Multidex 360

Thanks
    Delw

The beere product is an overkill for what I need to really do.

I have made a manual one and thinking about converting it, I need the motor only to rotate the collets. I was thinking a stepper motor as the parts are wide open. Maybe a stepper motor and a adjustable( for degrees) board wired to a m function
    The angle rotation can be done on my 4th axis like it is doing now.

It might be better/easier just to find a control box and motor for a indexer and mount it to the fixture.

If you want adjustable indexing not simple fixed angles in 45 degree increments it could be easier and more cost effective to buy the smallest Haas rotary and get a B axis card installed in your machine.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.