585,663 active members*
3,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345
    When I took out the 15 pin connector for NC Studio, I cut the hole larger in the drive box and put in a 37 pin D-Sub breakout for WinCNC.

WinCNC has two cards, both of which has a 37 pin connector. One card is a PCI card that does the connection to the PC for the second card, the daughter card.

The PCI card connector can supply up to 16 inputs and 16 outputs as well as 5v+ and 5v ground.

The daughter card supplys several inputs and outputs too, but it also does step and direction for up to 6 axes. Another great thing about the daughter card is it can be made to allow digital to analog spindle speed control.

Here is a quick once over of the daughter card pin out.

Pins 1 -10 and pins 26 - 29 are inputs. They are for WinCNC to receive TTL signal.

Pins 22 - 25 are outputs. These are used to turn things like a spindle on and off.

Pins 17, 19, 31, 33, 35 and 37 are step pins. Each can be configured in WinCNC to supply step signal to an axis.

Pins 16, 18, 30, 32, 34, and 36 are direction pins. Each can be configured in WinCNC to supply direction signal to an axis.

With the proper hardware added to the daughter card (by WinCNC) and the feature enabled, pins 12 - 14 can be made to control the RPM of the inverter by use of an S# command. 'S18000' would spin the spindle at 18000 RPM.

Now, my wiring, all from the daughtercard...

1. X low limit
    2. Y low limit
    3. Z high limit
    4. My inverter can be set up to output a signal when it reaches the requested RPM. I used that here. I do not allow my machine to move until this input comes on. That way it can not hit the material until it is up to speed.
    5. Tool length measure switch
    12. Ground signal from inverter
    13. Output voltage from WinCNC to the inverter to control RPM.
    14. 10 volt signal from the inverter.
    20. 5v+ from WinCNC
    21. 5v ground from WinCNC
    22. Connected to an opto and turns on and off the spindle.
    23. Connected to my crosshair laser for X, Y zeroing.
    30. Direction for the rotary (A) axis.
    31. Step for the A axis.
    32. Direction for Z axis.
    33. Step for Z axis.
    34. Direction for Y axis.
    35. Step for Y axis.
    36. Direction for X axis.
    37. Step for X axis.

I still have enough out outputs for two more devices and 9 more inputs. I also could add up to 2 more axes.

There are also the previously mentioned 16 inputs and 16 outputs available on the PCI connector if I ever needed them.

I hope this is useful to someone. It would be a shame to write all of this for no one's benefit.

Butterknife
    From Wikipedia - "..butter knife..any table knife designed with a dull edge and rounded point". I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterknife View Post
    I've seen people asking about JCut's wiring. I don't have the Mach wiring, but here's what I had for my NC Studio software.

1. Unhooked, but I think it was for a tool touch off switch.
    2. Step signal for axis 1
    3. Step signal for axis 2
    4. Step signal for axis 3
    5. X3 on the Sunfar inverter. It was set up for 3 outputs to control speed.
    6. Z high limit switch
    7. Y low limit switch
    8. X low limit switch
    9. Direction signal for axis 3
    10. Direction signal for axis 2
    11. Direction signal for axis 1
    12. X1 on the Sunfar inverter. Another of the speed outputs.
    13. X2 on the Sunfar inverter. Combinations of the 3 make up to 9 speeds.
    14. 5v- for everything.
    15. 5v+ for inverter, and steppers.

I can't promise yours will be the same, but this was mine.

I found mine by toning out the wiring.

I never ran my machine from NC Studio, I cut out the 15 pin plug from the box and added a 37 pin D-Sub connector for WinCNC. It is the controller I use at work and I am used to it.

I got a rotary axis with my machine. It was set up so that you moved Y to where you wanted it, then at the back of the machine, you unplugged it and plugged in the rotary axis in its place.

I added another drive for it and a seperate mic jack for it to plug into. That way I can use my X, Y, Z, and A at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Butterknife
    Butterknife, Thanks for the pinouts. I think I may mke up a 15 to 25 pin D-sub cable that can hook up to my spare computer with Mach3 so I could return to NC-studio with minimal fuss. I have been running the NC-studio about 140 hours so far. It seems that 30 hours may be the cleaning and lubrication interval for the guiderails. I started with molybdenum disulfide in an aerosol can but can't seem to get it on the back side of the guiderails. Currently I am useing chainsaw bar and chain lube. The machine runs really free with that. The speed picked up slightly and allowed the stepper motor on the X axis to overspeed. I will dial that down tomorrow between parts. Is there any way to clean and lube the Z-axis guiderails without taking the spindle motor mount off and have to realign it when reinstalling it. It runs a longer interval since it is limited in travel to the length of exposed cutter. The ballscrew and guiderail keep clean just from sitting on the same area.
    wizzardworks

Hi Butterknife,
    I'd like to ask you, using clamps for fixing, what the maximum working area you can have with this Machine?

Joba,

If I clamp front and rear only, I can get at least 23.5" wide and at least 35" in length.

Butterknife
    From Wikipedia - "..butter knife..any table knife designed with a dull edge and rounded point". I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Question Customs from China to Texas?

I see some conversations about customs and fees?

I was on Skype with Mandy from JCUT last night and she had some trouble explaining the customs/broker thing to me. (Sounds a little like bail bonds).

Anyway, she suggested I get on this forum and ask some English-speaking people with experience in this to tell me what I'm supposed to do.

The money is in the bank. A wire transfer is pending. But I can't make the purchase until I'm sure I know what to do. Anyone remember the early part of 'Rain Man', where Tom Cruise has bought some sports cars overseas but they're hung in paperwork limbo? Yeah, I don't want that.

I live in North Texas... Dallas area. Evidentially, the free shipping JCUT offers takes it to a Seaport in California. I have to pay someone to truck it the rest of the way... Do I understand that I have to pay some guy to waive the paperwork through? Do I have to bribe some Russians? At what point does the Mafia get involved??

Seriously... If you KNOW how customs works, please give me the details. Who do I call and what do I do? :violin:

hates being a newbie.

My broker advised me that I should have sent the computer, transformer, cutters and toolbox air freight and the machine crate by container. The advantage is that the seller can charge 1/2 the price for the air shipped parts and half for the crate shipped. This brings the import price below the $2000 limit and there is no customs paperwork or broker fees to pay. This will save $375 and a lot of delays.
    This is the scary part. I do like the sound of "no customs paperwork" though.

Mandy was great till the money was sent. Communication came to a crawl and my router got held in customs due the mfg declaration of value being $800.00. I ended up hiring a broker to get it out. When it was all said and done import fees, duty, broker fees and the FINE I was out another $700.00.

If you do get a machine from jcut, get it wired for Mach 3, the software they sent, nc studio etc. Was all pirated and wouldn't even run the machine. So another $1200 later with new contollers and software etc I'm finally doing test cuts this weekend.

So my $2700 machine is up to nearly $5000 been on site for 9 months and hasn't made me a dime yet.

I won't buy another thing from them. Nor would I recommend them to anyone. Proceed with extreme caution!

Quote Originally Posted by garym1957 View Post
    I see some conversations about customs and fees?

I was on Skype with Mandy from JCUT last night and she had some trouble explaining the customs/broker thing to me. (Sounds a little like bail bonds).

Anyway, she suggested I get on this forum and ask some English-speaking people with experience in this to tell me what I'm supposed to do.

The money is in the bank. A wire transfer is pending. But I can't make the purchase until I'm sure I know what to do. Anyone remember the early part of 'Rain Man', where Tom Cruise has bought some sports cars overseas but they're hung in paperwork limbo? Yeah, I don't want that.

I live in North Texas... Dallas area. Evidentially, the free shipping JCUT offers takes it to a Seaport in California. I have to pay someone to truck it the rest of the way... Do I understand that I have to pay some guy to waive the paperwork through? Do I have to bribe some Russians? At what point does the Mafia get involved??

Seriously... If you KNOW how customs works, please give me the details. Who do I call and what do I do? :violin:

hates being a newbie.
    Garyum1957, Been there done that. Since 911 there has been an exponential growth in paperwork. The customs people do not service individuals only brokers. They get involved at a value of $2000. Below that it is just like anything else from China. My J-cut representative seemed th think she could airfreight the tool kit and small items and container the rest splitting the salles price in two to be under the customs level. Too late for me I ended up paying $700. This comes from the customs duty, brokers fee, dock services from container to wearhouse, dock service from warehouse to the freight company, the freight (new york to norfolk va) the unloading fee at the customs wearhouse, inspection fee, trucking to the freight company wearhouse and loading in my truck for the last 60 miles. You will get several things from J-cut for your paperwork. You need to know the company which trucked your shipment from Jinan to Hong Kong, then you need to know the packer (the person who put your stuff in a container), the number of the container, and a few minor details. This info goes to the broker (located in the city where you will take posession of your machine). Then you get to do picture ID, birthday, where you were born , the usual suspects. There were 19 forms to sign to be sent to assorted places which were filled out by the broker. The paper work can be done in 3 or 4 days, mine took 3 weeks and must be complete before the ship arrives or complications arise.
    One thing you might do is specify the 2.2 Kw spindle motor which comes with ER20 collets for 1/2" shank bits. You can also use smaller bits with the smaller collet. You will also need a PC to run the machine. I used an older computer (733 Mhz , 384 Mb of ram) and it ran fine. My G-gode is about 430,000 lines and there were no problems until the power supply on the computer went bad.
    wizzardworks

Quote Originally Posted by wizzardworks View Post
    Garyum1957, Been there done that. Since 911 there has been an exponential growth in paperwork. The customs people do not service individuals only brokers. They get involved at a value of $2000. Below that it is just like anything else from China. My J-cut representative seemed th think she could airfreight the tool kit and small items and container the rest splitting the salles price in two to be under the customs level. Too late for me I ended up paying $700. This comes from the customs duty, brokers fee, dock services from container to wearhouse, dock service from warehouse to the freight company, the freight (new york to norfolk va) the unloading fee at the customs wearhouse, inspection fee, trucking to the freight company wearhouse and loading in my truck for the last 60 miles. You will get several things from J-cut for your paperwork. You need to know the company which trucked your shipment from Jinan to Hong Kong, then you need to know the packer (the person who put your stuff in a container), the number of the container, and a few minor details. This info goes to the broker (located in the city where you will take posession of your machine). Then you get to do picture ID, birthday, where you were born , the usual suspects. There were 19 forms to sign to be sent to assorted places which were filled out by the broker. The paper work can be done in 3 or 4 days, mine took 3 weeks and must be complete before the ship arrives or complications arise.
    One thing you might do is specify the 2.2 Kw spindle motor which comes with ER20 collets for 1/2" shank bits. You can also use smaller bits with the smaller collet. You will also need a PC to run the machine. I used an older computer (733 Mhz , 384 Mb of ram) and it ran fine. My G-gode is about 430,000 lines and there were no problems until the power supply on the computer went bad.
    wizzardworks
    I also just ordered one of these machines. Are you saying if the declared value was set under $2000 i would not need a broker and have to deal with all the paperwork? Any more info on this would be great as i have never ordered anything like this overseas.

thanks

ISF (10+2) Customs Form reminder

Just a reminder for people in the US who are importing machines from China....

Make sure your broker submits this form to Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) before the machine is loaded on the ship.

"The ISF regulation (10 + 2) went into effect January 26, 2009. Your import cargo must be reported to CBP prior to loading overseas. Importers are responsible for proper filing. If you have not made arrangements to file your ISF, make sure this is being done on your behalf. Failure to comply with the regulations can result in per shipment penalty." (up to $5,000 penalty)

Quote Originally Posted by naz1011 View Post
    I also just ordered one of these machines. Are you saying if the declared value was set under $2000 i would not need a broker and have to deal with all the paperwork? Any more info on this would be great as i have never ordered anything like this overseas.

thanks
    I thought that even in the U.S. if it was under $2000, you still needed a broker for processing the customs paperwork due to the size of the shipment?

BTW, over here in OZ it's $1000 for us! Hard to put the value of a 144 cubic feet crate as less than that! ;-)

Also, as someone else suggested, if you haven't already done, I would very strongly recommend NOT getting it wired for NC Studio but for MACH3 instead! For my one, I really regret that, and also for not getting the 2.2kW spindle!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    I thought that even in the U.S. if it was under $2000, you still needed a broker for processing the customs paperwork due to the size of the shipment?

BTW, over here in OZ it's $1000 for us! Hard to put the value of a 144 cubic feet crate as less than that! ;-)

Also, as someone else suggested, if you haven't already done, I would very strongly recommend NOT getting it wired for NC Studio but for MACH3 instead! For my one, I really regret that, and also for not getting the 2.2kW spindle!

cheers,
    Ian
    I contacted a broker and looks to be at least $400 and that did not include all the port fees in which she said goes by weight. I guess i will find out when it arrives. Surprise, surprise. I also asked if there was a minimum and she said $250 , but i guess she could have been saying that to get my business. Wish i had more info. I was going to purchase the 4'x6' machine and i guess im glad i didnt. It weighs 3 x's the weight.

After reading the posts about the 2.2kw spindle ,im glad i upgraded. I also had it set up for mach3 as that is what i have always used. I also upgraded to the rack and pinion instead of ballscrew drive. Suppose to be more accurate with faster cutting speeds. Rack around 700" per minute and ballscrew around 200".

For the record, and if anyone else from NZ is thinking of one of these machines...

Brokerage fees, port and customs inspection fees here in NZ for a slightly larger/heavier crate (k6100 from quick CNC with vacuum pumps) is costing me a shade under $700 NZD. In NZ we also pay 15% GST on the landed value but no duty.

Cheers, me.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwichris View Post
    For the record, and if anyone else from NZ is thinking of one of these machines...

Brokerage fees, port and customs inspection fees here in NZ for a slightly larger/heavier crate (k6100 from quick CNC with vacuum pumps) is costing me a shade under $700 NZD. In NZ we also pay 15% GST on the landed value but no duty.

Cheers, me.
    Wow, that's pretty good! That works out to $560AU. As a comparison the port fees and brokerage fees alone came to $1000 all up for me, and the delivery fees were $400. I've got the full fees I paid on my blog for anyone thinking of getting one into OZ.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Wow, that's pretty good! That works out to $560AU. As a comparison the port fees and brokerage fees alone came to $1000 all up for me, and the delivery fees were $400. I've got the full fees I paid on my blog for anyone thinking of getting one into OZ.
    Wouldn't yours include some duty / tariffs as well though? NZ has a free trade agreement with China, and I believe we're the only country with that in place so far?

I'm only paying port and inspection fees, no made up corporate protection taxes or industry stand over payments. From what I understand port fees in Aussie are a bit steeper as well.

I'm picking my crate up from the depot, so I'm not paying delivery. (Renting a small truck by the looks of it, but more fun than paying someone else to do it! )

Cheers, Me.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by naz1011 View Post

thanks
    The $2000 declared value figure was given to me by my broker in 2008. There is still the duty fee and shipping from the port to your location but the $375 brokerage fee and most of the paperwork is eliminated. I buy computer parts, CNC spindle motors and assorted other stuff. I know from recent experiance that a $660 order went thru for just the shipping charge ($25) from Hong Kong.
    It would probably be a good idea to talk to a broker. I used Michelle Katz. Her E-mail is [email protected] phone number is 757-446-1500 and the address is 227 Plume ST Norfolk Va. They did a real professional job and everything went smoothly. The container was delivered to the port of New York and the broker was in Norfolk so they don't necessairly have to be in the same city. I made 2 trips to their office to avoid mailing things but could have done it by printing stuff she sent me by E-mail and scanning the signed pages to send back, Some forms have to be an original not copys so a visit or mail will be required.

wizzardworks
    I am useing the NC-studio and have evolved to really like it. Being that it is the property of Weihong of China it is all part of the same goverment owned business and therefore to my way of thinking can't be pirated from itself. I got the Type3 and Artcam working but stayed with Rhino for the CAD and meshcam4 for the G-code. They all work together. I save the files as mach3 mm. The interpolation of curved surfaces is really good and no touch up or sanding so far. I have over 630 hours on the machine and it runs the same as it did when new.
    I read posts about whether there are limit switches and homing positions. Yes there are travel limits both soft limits and mechanical switches.You can also define the cutting area dimensions. The homing is to anywhere you specify (x y z cordinates) in the perameters menu, or if not checked it stops at the last line of G-code. You can home it under several situations such as pause or stop during execution as well. I have it set to retract in place to a height above the workpiece for tool changes.

Thanks Wizard. The broker i had talked to in Tampa said there fee was around $135 and anything over $250 was the figure they gave me. I will give your broker a call and see if i get a different figure.

When your saying the $375 brokerage fee was eliminated, i am guessing that you did not need a broker?

thanks

Hello all.
    I'm proud to say I received my JCUT 6090V today and got it un-crated, built a computer to control it, installed the JCUT supplied software (EMC2, Lazy Cam Sheet cam, etc.)

The shipping was free to Long beach Ca, but another 100 bucks got it on a rail car to Dallas. I used Pegasus Logistics here locally to handle the customs, fees, taxes and lift gate delivery to my garage. It took almost exactly a month to get it built, shipped, cleared and delivered to my door. Not bad, I'm told.

Even though I repeatedly asked for an LPT port BOB, I ended up with the USB version which has no instructions of any kind. It appears to install from the disc okay, but the EMC software doesn't seem to have a USB setup anywhere in the configs.

Anyone here know how to get the LPT-friendly software to talk to the USB interface?
    Any ideas?

So far, for just under $4000 US, I have a water pump and a green light. Awesome.

Okay, the machine is here. I got the JCUT 6090A with a fatter spindle and the 4th axis. The whole thing, including spare stepper driver and Rotary was about 3200.00 USD. Another 800 bucks to get a logistics company to get it here for me, delivered to my door.

It was scary, but in hindsight I didn't need to stress over it. Ignorance is a killer.

Anyway, the USB thing is a Jamen USB driver. The docs are in Chinglish but I muddled through enough to get the X,Y and Z moving.

Naturally my first act of machine movement was driving the spindle nut down into the work table. Fortunately the E-Stop is in easy reach and the table surface is covered with a soft plastic (sacrificial?) surface over the channels.

I have yet to figure out the spindle driver. Its a little variable speed driver which is supposed to be controllable from the USB also. So far no luck. There is no brand name on it that I can see. I'll post a real question on another thread, but basically, how do I turn on the spindle!?

Page 3 of 5 12345