585,575 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Conversion of a King Rich 3000.
Page 1 of 2 12

Conversion of a King Rich 3000.

Hi all,
    Just brought a King Rich 3000 and have started to convert it to CNC. I am a bit late starting the thread as I have already set up the X & Y axis. To help keep costs down I have done a couple of things different.
    For example I am using 400w servo's instead of the 750 normally used. My thinking was that the ProTac guys would have used bigger motors then needed also I figured I could reduce the gearing if needed. Standard pullies are M3 15mm wide belts with 16 tooth driving 44 tooth giving 2.75 reduction. To my surprised with a bit of reconfiguring the drives I got it to work. The big surprise is that I am getting travel speeds of 4,000mm per min. Have even got it going at 5,000 but decided to back it down.
    The servo gear I used have a lot of advatges because the software behaves as if it has steppers on the end of it but they are servos.
    Here is a link to the supplier,
    Single Axis 400W Brushless AC Servo Kit :: Servo Kits :: CNC :: Ocean Controls

Each axis cost me the same as a motor only from other suppliers.

Thats enough for now,
    Have a great day.
    Tony

Due to the fact that I have to mount power supplies the power box is pretty full. Also I am seting up for 5 axis the last 2 will be steppers as they work well enough for small jobs.
    I have attached the way the Z axis is coming together, hit a snag earlier in the week when I blew up the motor on my small X3 cnc drill mill. I can't buy one here for 6 weeks. So I have to take some short cuts on the set up of the Z so I can get it running and then come back to improve it later.
    Have a great day.
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0144.JPG   PICT0147.JPG  

Here is a 3D of the Z axis setup. This pdf is 3d so if you double click the image you can have a more detailed look at the design.
    Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tony,

You have inspired me to switch back to my KR mill project and get at least the X and Y axis operating. My Honda S600 project has progressed well in the last few months but I am ready for a change again.

S600 Coupe Off frame restoration - Page 11 - Honda-Tech

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKmiK_1nac"]YouTube - Honda S600 Oil Supply to Cylinder Head[/nomedia]

Here is some photos of the Z axis up to compleation. I will give it a run in the morning when the locktight dries.
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kingrich2 (1).JPG   Kingrich2 (2).JPG   Kingrich2 (3).JPG   Kingrich2 (4).JPG  

Kingrich2.JPG  

Okay its all working, milled a couple of more parts for the Z axis, I want to add the limit switches as well as beaf it up a bit. I had to do a couple of parts a bit rough due to my mill problem. Now I have the new one working I can replace some bits I am not happy with. I am more then happen the unit is brilliant.
    Have a few more jobs to do to tidy it up but its all good.
    Tony

Test job turner's cube

Here is a little test on ran on the mill.
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner cube small.jpg  

Final Z axis with braces.

I redid the Z axis support plates so it was stronger. Also installed limit switchs. I am using proximity sensors instead of micro switchs, it might be the wrong thing but I figured I would give it a go. Here are a couple of photos.
    Have a great day.
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z axis final 1.JPG   Z axis Prox  Limt switchs.JPG  

wow that was quick

do you think the 400w servos are big enough?

looking great. any pics of the x and y?

any video?

well done

I was nervous about the 400watt motors but they handle it with out a problem. They have never overloaded and also show no signs of heat build up, from my experiance if the motor gets hot then its running at maxium load. The other sign of a problme is if you push the speed to fast they can't keep up with what the counter needs to see so they get a position error. I have had them running as high as 6,000mm per minute and not failed. At that speed its a bit hairy the table moves so fast. If I am right 400W is about 1/2hp when you think about it that is a lot of grunt just to turn a ball screw.
    The Z motor could be 200W and it would still work.

I did some research with the Prototrak supplier and he said the 600W motors they use were able to run machines 3 times bigger then mine. THey just had one standard kit/motor size for most of the machines.

Haven't figured out how to post a video yet but will try soon.
    Tony

Been pretty busy at work but got an improved Z attachment to the quill built and installed the limit switch. Also managed to get a second hand touch screen so I built a enclosure for it.
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0016.JPG   PICT0017.JPG  

Is that room for a MPG wheel on the end of your screen enclosure? What have you got in mind to use there? Nice job. What type of keyboard do you use for input?

I brought a wireless key board which works well, Later I might do the MPG etc. The standard Protack has the wheel along side the Z axis.
    Tony

Haven't posted for a while but here is a video of the mill cutting a pocket. I am using CamBam software and have found a way for it to generate the code so it is doing Trochoidal milling. As you can see it a lot faster and easier on the cutter. Hope you enjoy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8thqXNPoOLU]Adapter pocket Trochidal mill CamBam - YouTube[/ame]
    Tony

I would be interested in hearing how you got CamBam to do that....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Hi Ray,
    I am at work now so don't have time to explain but will do later for you. Also I want to mill a more complex shape and post. I have fixed a couple of things in that program so it even goes faster now. For your interest I milled that pocket the old way and it took 35 minutes and near destroyed the cutter. With this method it takes 8minute to do the same thing into a 40mm deep steel block.
    Have a great day.
    Tony

Ray it maybe easier if you follow how I am doing this over on the CamBam thread. Over the next week I expect to see a lot of major improvments with the new things I am learning. What is great about the way we are doing it with CamBam is it takes longer then other packages but that factor alone enables more flexiability then the high end cam packages.

My Interiation of a possiable way to do Trochoidal milling.

Tony

New video of the machine working with trochoidal milling
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR72H78bOaM]Trochoidal miling test run for CamBam.WMV - YouTube[/ame]

enjoy

Tony,

Very impressive video. Can you tell me what type of steel? What diameter end mill, just carbide? No cutting oil? Spindle speed? Max depth of side cut?
    Max feedrate when cutting max depth? Would my 3Hp spindle motor do the same job?

Have you got your servo drives and Mach3 interface box all mounted neatly on your mill? Did you use a Smooth Stepper board? Have you modified your Quill design. I would like to see some current photos of your converted machine. It seems to deliver a very perfessional job.

Cheers,

John

Hi Tony
    I am really interested in your King Rich conversion because I am considering a conversion on my KR3000.
    I know that it is a few years ago, but I wonder if I can ask you about the XY axis details. Did you install ball screws, and if so, what diameter. Did you have to alter the existing KR3000 much to accept the ballscrews. Could you post some photos of the setup of XY servos?
    I gather that the Z axis was the big challenge, and your posts about that aspect are very helpful and encouraging.
    John from Geelong Vic Oz.

Page 1 of 2 12