585,978 active members*
4,352 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High School Machine Shop Projects

I'm a high School machine shop teacher and am looking for some different shop projects. I have prints for the traditional stuff, v-blocks, 1x2x3 blocks and c clamps. I'm looking for other things to do with my class. We have a 2 bridgeports with proto traks and 3 accurites. We also have a new Haas CNC lathe.

The problem with high school shop classes are that you need a large block if time in the middle of setting up and cleaning up. Chess pieces are nice projects that can be done in short enough time blocks. Many of the pieces offer curves and straight lines that can be made into pretty simple G-code programs.

IF you have a GOOD crew, you might break things down into three or four teams and open things up to a class project, where each team is responsible for a few parts of an assembly. There is a very simple bench mounted one lung primitive single cylinder engine floating around the net. Base plate, cylinder, a simple crank, connecting rod, cam, and flywheel. The ignition fires off of a old set of chevy points, coil, and total loss battery power.

Ways to get past possible problem areas are to use an old weed whacker motor for parts. If the crank seems too complex for your level of students, use an old WW crank. It also has a taper for the flywheel.

There are several reasons for the small gas motor as a shop project. It opens their minds to a slew of possibilities. Internal combustion principal two stroke/four stroke, electricity/electronics/science/physics, CAD/CAM/math/fits/finishes, time planning.... ahhh, makes me passionate. Loved Shop, would love to each it.

While projects like V-blocks, machinist parallel clamps, and brass hammers are great for people going into the trade, there's a lot of kids who just want the exposure (and never mind the kids who are just looking for an easy elective), or have a more casual interest, so you may want projects that they can take home and use.

One project I'd had in mind, but never implemented in class was license plate frames. A lab fee could cover the raw material cost, and the tooling wouldn't be expensive. Once the tooling is built as a class project, the individual students can all use it.

In fact, designing and building the tooling for a license plate frame presents some interesting challenges for a newbie.....or seasoned machinist. The discussion of tooling and work-holding is essential too for a well rounded understanding of the whole process.

Then, you've got the added attraction of self interest with the custom engraving of whatever art/logo/message the student will want to personalize it....my suggestion is the school logo on the top, and the student's personalized art on the bottom.

There's an added spin-off potential here too.....selling frames for fund raising.... :cheers:

-------------------------------------

Depending on what CAD/CAM software you're using, the kids may also have the opportunity to do extra credit projects for more personally oriented things....paintball accessories, guitar bodies, RC models, whatever.....which may lead to getting a fair sized CNC router (paid in part from aforementioned frame sales)....which in turn leads to more interest in the class....And you'll be amazed how popular you'll get when everybody starts wanting stuff. Our shop supports physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, ....and like Pawn Stars....you never know what's going to come through the door.

We've been using Mastercam, and our reseller/support has been excellent, not to mention the academic cost being very, very affordable. They have a great competition too: http://www.mastercam.com/WildestParts/

And check out the winners too! http://www.mastercam.com/WildestParts/Winners.html

..... I used to tease my kid for spending hours playing World of Warcraft online.... And he used to tease me for playing Mastercam for hours.....only difference was that when I won, I got something to show for it.... and I still have the programs!

Please keep the ideas coming

You've all given me great ideas. We currently do lots of engraving for kids at school. I call these type of projects "fun" projects. I use the engraving projects to help teach MasterCam.

I'm also looking to see if any prints have been uploaded to this site for any projects. My shop is a full 4 year vocational program. Students are week on week off. I see them for 30 hours per week.

Another problem I have is I just received 43 pieces of 6061 aluminium that measures 1.500x .375 x 12 feet. Donation from a local scrap metal dealer. It's a good problem but I need projects for it. Any ideas?

Tap drill & tap guides for hand tapping, 0-80 thru 1/4-20?

When I was in high school we made a small rock hammer in my beginning machine shop class. We turned the handle, threaded the top, knurled the bottom on the lathe, then milled the hammer head and drilled and tapped it. It was a really nice project. Some of my friends still have theirs, and that was over 30 years ago.

Tom