586,009 active members*
4,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

2006 shopsabre

Im new to cnc. Looking at a 2006 4896. no vacumn, it has atc.
    it has rotary lathe attachment. owner says 200 hr or so. 5 hp spindle. Is $20000 a good deal

go see it work and listen to the spindle at 15000 rpm (with no bit in collet) for a 1/2 hour or so it will be reasonably quiet and smooth if it sounds loud or rough it could need rebuilding, the rest of the machine (as long as it did not fall off a truck) is probably ok, call pds columbo in NC. or hsd in florida, they can tell you the price of a new spindle if needed. call shopsabre they should know some history on the machine, with an atc 16-22.000 is not unreasonable, if the spindle is iffy then the price drops
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

used CNC

I would be careful on a used CNC unless you are intimately familiar with them. There are many things that can affect how they run, and many of the tolerances are codependent. I would check with ShopSabre to be sure they will support the machine first, then I would run some tests with the machine to ensure tolerances are good (tight circles and some z tests). I bought a "demo" machine from ShopSabre, warranted as new, and after several months of trying to get it to work, they replaced it with a new one (which says a lot about them, and the machine has been solid as a rock).

Good luck