585,585 active members*
4,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

IPM servo drive problem

Hello.

Control is 21i-M, with alfa series servo amplifiers.
    Today, monday I started the machine and ... alarm. During the weekend lots of humidity on the shop, but all years the same happens.
    Now that I have lots of work for the machine this happens. Really need some advice.

Error on the control is: 449 Y axis IPM error.

After digging on the net, I found that the servo amplifier displays 9. that means that the error is on the servo amplifier, related to the inteligent power module. I have disconected the servo cables and tryed everthing that I remember, and it seams that my last hope is to replace the servo amplifier. 1500€ ...

Any ideias, remarks. Anything would help.

Thanks

I will reply to myself just to leave the information for someone else in the future.

The problem was on the servo amplifier (X and Y axis). The IPM is a intelligent power module, that basically is a part made by Fuji electric.
    The problem was not on the Fuji electric part but on the circuit of the servo amplifier itself. We bought a new servo amplifier and we could repair ourselves the broken one. So we have a spare servo drive.

Servo amplifier is
    FANUC Alpha Servo Controller A06B-6096-H208 9,5kW

Re: IPM servo drive problem

Quote Originally Posted by fomaz View Post
    I will reply to myself just to leave the information for someone else in the future.

The problem was on the servo amplifier (X and Y axis). The IPM is a intelligent power module, that basically is a part made by Fuji electric.
    The problem was not on the Fuji electric part but on the circuit of the servo amplifier itself. We bought a new servo amplifier and we could repair ourselves the broken one. So we have a spare servo drive.

Servo amplifier is
    FANUC Alpha Servo Controller A06B-6096-H208 9,5kW
    Hi
    I;ve got a same Servo Amplifier here with the exact same fault (although it drives a Z axis at our machine). It does show the related error code and the amplifier has "9" lit up on LED display. Can you please be more specific what was the fault at your unit, as I;m going to order and change the 6MBP75RH060-01 power module at it. Was that the one (and only) faulty part at your case, or should I check and for other failed parts that has to be replaced?
    Thank you in advance
    Sotiris

Hello,
    In my case it was just a simple resistor that was broken. Since the amplifier served two axis X and Y, I was able to compare both circuits until I found a difference. Looking more carefully I was able to isolate the problem and it was just a resistor that was damaged. The resistor was replaced and all went back to normal.
    Good luck.

Hello,
    In my case it was just a simple resistor that was broken. Since the amplifier served two axis X and Y, I was able to compare both circuits until I found a difference. Looking more carefully I was able to isolate the problem and it was just a resistor that was damaged. The resistor was replaced and all went back to normal.
    Good luck.
    Ooops! That makes me think twice about it... as at my case the amplifier doesn't start when it's cold (after a start up of the machine) and if we leave the machine at a stand-by ON condition for ~2hrs then it starts working, although the motor of that specific axis it makes a quite weird noise. Have test the driver output by exchanging the 2 motors connected to the amplifier (with their encoders of course0 and the symptom remained at the specific output of the amplifier. From start it looked at me more or less like a cold solder joint somewhere in the power circuit of the amplifier but have not located any while checking it at bench. But a broken resistor (probably the high power ones near the IGBT) seems to be a very good suspect for that kind of fault! I will check them more carefully before replacing the IGBT itself! Thank you !!! Sotiris

In my case the error was persistent. The resistor was one of those that are rectangular - I do not know the name of that type. I have replace it with a standard one.

In my case the error was persistent. The resistor was one of those that are rectangular - I do not know the name of that type. I have replace it with a standard one.
    seems you're talking about those resistors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA070.jpg  

No. In my case they were "surface mount resistors", very small, low power. Those that you are showing are probably for the power circuit.
    I believe in my case they were on the control/signal part of the drive, on the PCB.

No. In my case they were "surface mount resistors", very small, low power. Those that you are showing are probably for the power circuit.
    I believe in my case they were on the control/signal part of the drive, on the PCB.
    OK, thank you very much for the info.
    regards
    Sotiris