584,833 active members*
5,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Any using Foamwork software?

I'm looking into getting some foam cutting software anyone using this - http://www.foamwork.net/

FoamWorks/CADWorks

I bought both and from what I've seen so far they are really good products and the support is there when you need it (within a reasonable time frame). Get the 30 day demo and try them out. The software is not restricted except for time. Dave is great.

I have tested demo version and it works ok. Only problem is that FW only give you 1000 step/sec. That can limit cutting too slow if using low pitch screw.

how do you convert a file ? ... my 2D drawings keep being generated as ziggag puzzle lol
    Live life like you never see another day

Quote Originally Posted by venomx999 View Post
    how do you convert a file ? ... my 2D drawings keep being generated as ziggag puzzle lol
    If you have foamworks as I have you should purchase the cadworks to go with it. It converts autocad files as well as being able to draw and shift the nodes in your drawings.

Regards Steve

venomx,
    I've been cutting airplanes for 2 years with Foamworks exclusively.
    As mentioned go to the site and download the free trial programs.
    At a point I had a video out showing going from autocad to cadwords to foamworks.
    In short you need to set the order of the lines.
    They are not set that is why you got zig zag.

Load dxf file into foamworks
    make a new blue layer
    trace the dxf file counter clockwise starting from the right
    working your way down covering any horizontal positions.
    and exit on either side

Theres a few hurdles:
    Sometimes in foamworks you can't get the dat file to go down to 0
    A few methods resolve this fairly quickly
    Knowing which way to trace something so that gravity doesnt have a bad effect on cut accuracy (from parts settling that get cut again)
    Shapes can be setup to autotrace in foamworks which takes the tracing process out of it! (it requires that no lines over lap though)

Videos will be posted showing the whole foam cutting process.
    I'm working on a second cutter now and need help on wire order for the motors which will be posted too.

Just ask any questions you have and the video will make sure to cover it.

Hey Sloper, I can hardly wait to see what you produce in a video.

Quote Originally Posted by sloper sty View Post
    venomx,
    At a point I had a video out showing going from autocad to cadwords to foamworks.

make a new blue layer
    and exit on either side

Theres a few hurdles:
    Knowing which way to trace something so that gravity doesnt have a bad effect on cut accuracy (from parts settling that get cut again)
    Shapes can be setup to autotrace in foamworks which takes the tracing process out of it! (it requires that no lines over lap though)

I'm working on a second cutter now and need help on wire order for the motors which will be posted too.

Wire order help

I posted this up in the motor thread if anyone can help please do!
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...608#post288608

Thanks!

Paul,

I too am looking for wirecutter software. Jedicut and foamwork seem to be the top available for hobbiests, but they only control 4 axis. See www.megaplot.com to see video of what a 5th axis lathe/rotary table can do to take foam cutting over the top. I'm going to ask if their software is compatible with controllers other than their proprietary controllers, or if they will sell the software & controller at a reasonable price.

Hello Paul
    I was using foamworks which is good and it does not have the 5th axis.
    It would be nice to have this facillity, to cut eliptical wings for aircraft.
    I was using the stepper driver UCn5804b, one channel stopped working.
    I was told that this chip is no longer available. I rebuilt the controller using
    the GMFC french site. This controller works well and is cheap to build but the software
    is more expensive than foam works.
    All the software that I have seen on the net, have not the 5th axis.
    Another way of machining foam is with sandpaper glued to a mandrill cutter.
    Using a 5axis router with B and C axis you can then cut 3D.
    This method is a bit messy as foam dust goes all over the place.
    In the automotive industry they use this method for lost foam castings.

I use Foamworks also. One was to much money for what I wanted to do and the other one I never did get working right but it is still loaded. Maybe play with it after to find the problem.
    Foamworks is running with my Hobbycnc 4 axiz pro system and although it is not as fast cutting as some want it does the job for me. My screws are 3/8" x 16 tpi and was originally going to use 1/4x20 but a friend said that would be real slow. If I need to speed it up I would have to change the ready rod to less tpi.
    The 2 programs available from the foamworks site work hand in hand which I have but there are also other small programs available for free that can also convert files for you. I am into wing cutting and playing around with different shapes to make fuselages for small electrics. Later it will be large scale when I get some time.
    Try the demo and play around with the settings to see if it is what you want. I crossed up initially as I was playing with the program before I built the cutter. When I finished my cutter the time had expired on the demo which created a problem and I could not do any trial cuts.
    John

For those using the 5804B chips, they are still available from source 1 for $18.25 each, the drawback is you must by a tube of them (25 peices) to get them. If theres a group that would like to go in to purchase them, let me know Ill send you a link to their ordering page.

cant believe i purchased them 2 years ago for 6 dollars a pop....

The cost of the chips and having to purchase 25 of them makes any of the other boards very reasonable. This is why I went with the Hobbycnc board. Those prices are just gouging for a do it yourself type when it is a hobby.
    John

t

5804 chips

I have actually found them this week for 9.95 a pop, which is almost back to the original price I paid two years ago. They had 450 on hand and I may just pop for 25 or so just to have some on hand for later projects. Although the 3979 or 3977 would work well too. just dont feel like redesigning the board as of present.

I still like the unipolar steppers, but am going to work on a new setup with bipolars in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by sloper sty View Post
    venomx,

make a new blue layer
    and exit on either side

Theres a few hurdles:

I have had a issue with sweeps on wings, do you think you can help?

Thanks,

Chris

does anybody as a detail of foamwork pin port for hobbycnc rev.0 foam cutter . i would like to try since 2005 and still stuck .. not cut yet. i use 3/8 16tpi rod.
    i will try different software if i can make work right , i try emc2 and not luck .
    thx for any help .

setup for hobbycnc

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    I have tested demo version and it works ok. Only problem is that FW only give you 1000 step/sec. That can limit cutting too slow if using low pitch screw.
    hi, do you use hobbycnc board to test foamworks, if yes what setting did you use to controll the bard .. can you take some picture of the setup. i can't get it right pin port setup or the motor speed ???

I have not used my foamcutter for a couple of years but will dig up some of the info later. My cutter is also 3/8 x 16tpi and the steps for running foamworks from my pc is 3217 steps.
    Hope this helps.
    John

Any tricks in Foamworks or cadworks on getting the line segment equal between to DXF files?

I can import a wing root DXF and Wing tip DXF, but when I prep the drawing it ends up with two different line counts. I have manually traced over the drawings, but it is time consuming to draw 160 line segments. Also the cut is not very even because I’m guessing at where the points on the lines are as I trace in cadworks.

An option to split a DXF in the drawing prep to a specific number would be great.