585,883 active members*
4,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Question about importing scanned part for geometry.

Question about importing scanned part for geometry.

I have a hand made part I made that was not made from a print. There are several edges with unknown radiuses/curves. I was wondering if it would be possible to scan the part on a standard office scanner then import it to OneCNC to extract the perimeter geometry?

Tormach is selling a part scanning package that uses a digital microscope, their software and your CNC mill to produce 2D design files:

Tormach CNC Scanner™ | Tormach | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

There's a shareware version of the software if you want to try and roll your own system.

Mike

Not in the market for that but thanks for the info.

Anybody???

Yes, no, maybe, just a pipe dream?

"Trace Image" under file tab..

Look in help section for ..well Help..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trace.PNG  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So the answer is "yes" I can use a copy off a standard scanner, import, then trace to get basic outline geometry?

If so, dang it! I just finished the basic geometry on that project literally 5 minutes ago. I touched off the curved edges in XY (from X-0 Y-0) on my manual mill using my digital read out and a fancy edge finder. Then put those locations in using the “point” tool then connected the dots. It wasn’t perfect compared to the part, but I was able to make those adjustments until it was. I have more hours into it than I care to admit.

I did see that in the menu, that's why I ask.

deleted

One method to keep in mind when trying to make a smooth curve from points, is the function "Arc from 3 entities." It can make a much smoother model (depending on what you are trying to reverse engineer) than simple lines. Sometimes after you get this arc, then you can verify it to find out its radius, and then decide whether it should be an exact value (to fit some standard part) and modify it, by drawing a new arc of the correct radius, and using 'sketch' to place the new arc in a best fit near the 3 points that were used to generate the original arc.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's pretty much what I did I used my data from the manual mill as a starting point, then used the 3 point arc in put, then made adjustments from there.