585,962 active members*
4,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Silly Question

Ok, I am attempting to get holes though a round part at 45º and 120º + and - from Zero.

I can't seem to figure out how to get a plane at an angle from a flat surface to draw some holes and cut the hole.

If need be I can supply the part and cell number if someone could Walk me though the process.

Thanks

John

Holes at an angle

There may be more direct ways but when I had to do something similar a few weeks ago I added a temporary trangular boss to the part. I used sketch and dimensioning to define a triangle with the long edge in the plane that needed to be defined. Then I extruded the sketch to give it some reasonable depth. With that I could define the plane as occuring on the long side-face of the boss. Finally I either delected or supressed the generating extrusion and sketch. (I don't remember that detail.)

Although that process will work in special cases the method needs to be generalized to address all planes. For the face of the extrusion to be in the plane requires that the defining edge be in the plane and the defining triangle be at a right angle to the plane. In many cases one of the standard planes is at right angles to the required plane so only one stage of construction is needed. When that is not the case the construction sequence must be used to define a plane that is at right angles to the desired plane. The sequence can then be repeated on the temporary plane to completed the construction.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I've been attempting to get it going. I'll have some quality time to spend this evening attempting to get this resolved.

John