584,826 active members*
4,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Does Smartcam V10.0 work with Windows 7?

Does Smartcam V10.0 work with Windows 7?

That's the question I have. If so, does it work with 32 bit or 64 bit? I appreciate your help! :wave: FWIW, V10.0 was released in 1997.

I am still running xp sp2 on v11

smartcam version 11 will run off of windows 7 providing you get the professional one. I think you have to run in 32 bit., it will only work on the pro version of 7 nothing less

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    I am still running xp sp2 on v11

smartcam version 11 will run off of windows 7 providing you get the professional one. I think you have to run in 32 bit., it will only work on the pro version of 7 nothing less
    Are you sure it will run in Win 7? I need to buy a new computer so I want configure it correctly. I also run XP but I want to move on to Windows 7.

I saw it running in windows 7, so yes I am sure this application did work just fine, will it work for you, I have no clue. Have no clue if it will work for me either and dont feel like paying MS another 300+ to see if it will. as I hate computers and they always screw something up.

I know it doesnt work in the home edition, that comes with pcs.
    My daughter is some nerd tech and she installed it for the guy. he has advanced Lathe and standard mill.
    he had an emachine. formated the system then put on windows 7 pro something. he had to format the system, thats why My daughter went over there.
    she told me it had to be put on the windows 7 version that cost like 300+ just for the upgrade.

I havent tried it on mine, cause I dont feel like upgrading PC'S too much hassle, I have 2 windows 7pc's (home edition) Smartcam v11 advanced milling didnt work on those, I just use them to play on the net with and accounting, otherwise I find windows 7 garbage, but thats just my opinion.
    Plus the new version of smartcam is Kick ass and I will just upgrade to the new one when time and cash permits.

Delw

Frank it was the unlimate windows 7 edition, I had spoke to her earlier and asked what version the guy had her install in his PC.
    I also believe she said to run it in 32 bit or xp mode or some crap like that.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Frank it was the unlimate windows 7 edition, I had spoke to her earlier and asked what version the guy had her install in his PC.
    I also believe she said to run it in 32 bit or xp mode or some crap like that.
    Thank you very much! You've really been agreat help to me and I appreciate it. I'm fine with XP too but MS is going to stop supporting it soon and I need to buy a new computer and it's hard to find any PC without Win 7.
    XP is pretty much dated to PC manufacturers so I wanted to find out if the old Smartcam version I use would work.

Frank,
    I bought 6 copies of XP sp2 when I heard they were going to stop selling it.. Xp will work on the new PC's I thought MS stopped supporting it last year? it doesnt make and difference if they support it or not if you think about it as.
    I still run one pc with windows 98
    you shouldnt need any support for xp unless your tinkering with stuff. especially if your software works on XP now.

I have a e machine with xp on it and it was bought last year, and was loaded with windows 7, I f disked it and loaded Xp sp2 on it everything is functioning ok .I was told that the e machine wouldnt support the xp drivers, not to buy the xp dosks cause there out dated blah blah blah. they are correct if your using some new software but using the stuff from back in the xp days works fine.
    also if you run into a pinch you can still buy old software on ebay and old PC parts of almost any vintage online. I have 386 dx40's that are running my omniturns and software. I have had no problem finding computer parts for them either in the last 10+ years

Delw

Try Virtual PC

I run Win98, DOS stuff and XP from within Windows7
    From within the Win98 window, even the old VESA video drivers work correctly, as does the network.
    This is a screen capture running Windows 7 on my Toshiba laptop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Win98.jpg  
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Smartcam 11.5 will run inside the virtual PC software. For this you need Microsofts virtual PC app installed. This is available free in ALL windows 7 versions. The reason for Professional or Ultimate versions are they include the license for the XP virtual machine. Otherwise you still need a copy of XP to install on that virtual machine.

I do not know if the problem with Smartcam on Win7 is just the installer, or smartcam as well. I would love to hear from anyone that managed to install 11.5 directly on a win7 machine.

It is possible to install applications in the virtual machine so it opens like just another application on your windows 7 desktop. The reality is you just do not see the virtual machine running in the background. Still it is a little cleaner dealing with it that way.

My suggestion would be to stick with XP unless there is a real need for Win7 or you do not need Smartcam on a daily basis.

With virtual PC, it is even quicker and easier.
    When you exit virtual PC, just save the state. Don't shutdown Smartcam.
    Just have an icon for virtual PC, and instantly, it is up and running where you left off after it does a 5 second restore.
    I installed Win98 from scratch on Virtual PC on my XP machine.
    I just copied the virtual files created to the W7 machine, and Win98 was running instantly.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Smartcam in Windows 7

I know this thread is WAY old but I thought I would reply if it will help anybody down the road. I am not sure about V10 but I know that V11 and V11.5 will install and run in Windows 7 Home Premium, not just Ultimate. The tricky part is figuring out why smartcam.ini never gets read from c:\windows. Simple enough, Microsoft tried to lock down Win 7's access to c:\windows as a security measure. Installing an applications .ini file at that location makes a backup copy at C:\Users\"user"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows. The smartcam.ini file you will find at this location is used by Smartcam and can be modified as needed.

As far as I can tell everything else works as it should.

Thanks for the ini tip. I'm guessing your talking about 32 bit versions of win7

The x64 refuses to run the smartcam installer. My understanding is Microsoft took most of the 16 bit support out of x64 and lots of software used 16 bit installer programs, even into the XP era. The older 16 bit installers just aren't supported. But on the 32 bit win7 Microsoft did leave that support in...

There is a chance that logging all the changes during an install on a 32 bit system, then copying the installed files to a 64 bit system and manually making the other changes (registry and DLL registration) it might work. Bit of a long shot for us 64 bit users.

V11 in Win7 64-bit

I actually did more experimenting over the weekend, you CAN get most of V11 to work with a manual install. That is, copy an existing install off of a working XP install and tweak the ini's to reflect the new paths in Win7. Obviously you have to rerun the licence manager to get that part of it all squared away.

What does not work -

Communicate
    Edit Plus
    Machine Define

Strangely enough these are all 16-bit apps but the rest are 32-bit and work fine.

What I do not know is how V10 would work as I cannot remember how much 32-bit code is in that version.

If there is any interest in what I have done I can put together a how-to guide.

Brilliant! So much nicer than running it under the VM. I still have it installed that way for the machine define and edit plus if needed.

Some more details for anyone else that wants to do this.

Windows 7 x64 Corp.
    Took a working smartcam 11.5 install and copied the c:\SM9 to the same path on my win7 computer.
    I have everything installed under SM9 including the CFG, keydir and temp_imp
    Then I copied these from c:\windows
    cam.ini
    camcon.INI
    comm.ini
    control.ini
    edplus.ini
    machdef.ini
    smartcam.ini

as well as the section from win.ini
    [ElanLM]
    Keydirectory=c:\sm9\keydir

Create the shortcuts, and run the license admin. Just keep the same paths or you will have to edit the *.ini and *.cfg files.

I tried to modify the win.ini file in my C:\windows directory, but it won't let me save the file. Is there a way around this?

Quote Originally Posted by dpuch View Post
    Brilliant! So much nicer than running it under the VM. I still have it installed that way for the machine define and edit plus if needed.

Some more details for anyone else that wants to do this.

Windows 7 x64 Corp.
    Took a working smartcam 11.5 install and copied the c:\SM9 to the same path on my win7 computer.
    I have everything installed under SM9 including the CFG, keydir and temp_imp
    Then I copied these from c:\windows
    cam.ini
    camcon.INI
    comm.ini
    control.ini
    edplus.ini
    machdef.ini
    smartcam.ini

as well as the section from win.ini
    [ElanLM]
    Keydirectory=c:\sm9\keydir

Create the shortcuts, and run the license admin. Just keep the same paths or you will have to edit the *.ini and *.cfg files.

I saw it running in windows 7, so yes I am sure this application did work just fine, will it work for you, I have no clue.

I believe you have to have admin rights on the computer to edit it.