585,759 active members*
3,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: NZ T2Y2

Page 1 of 2 12

NZ T2Y2

Hi all,
    We will be getting our new Mori delivered soon, and we're all very eager to start making chips!

Our shop has Mazak and Okuma machines (and controls) so the Mori will be a welcome breath of fresh air.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips or tricks they'd like to share, in regards to this style of machine. A heads-up on any possible traps would be nice to know too.

Anyway, I've heard so many good things about the Mori Seiki brand that I don't anticipate too many problems.

Best regards, Dave.

good machines. only downside is X axis creep - about .002".

Have you ever run a 2 turret 2 spindle machine? The biggest thing will be sync codes (m100-197). Aside from that, programs like any other live tooled Y axis machine...

If it's a MAPPS 4, i feel bad for you, though... CE safety specifications on the new machines make it virtually impossible to set up the machine without having the door closed (an oxymoron, i know)

thanks Thrill,

I agree the CE is a major pain! I can't recall exactly, I think we're getting the MAPPS III (but it is a new machine).

We have a Macturn 250W but the bottom turret is turning only, and a Multus. Both have the 2nd spindle.

The Mazaks here are MS and MSY models, with sub-spindles also.

So we have plenty of sub and live tool experience, some Y-axis experience, and a little bit of syncronising experience.

I've picked myself and our Tornos (12 axes) guy to learn the Mori. I think he'll be relieved to have just eight axes now

well if it has soft keys on the side of the screen it's a newer MAPPS 3 unit and will probably have the same BS CE spec... such a pain. Is it NEW new or "new" new? What I mean is that it could have possibly been a showroom machine used for test cuts and demos that the distributors still sell as "new" even though it has a few hours on it. It's possible it was a warehouse machine, too, though - sitting in stock waiting for someone to buy it. Either way I hope you were able to get a few bucks off of it (being a MAPPS 3 machine and all). The MAPPS 4 machines are nice because they offer both the CAPS conversational as well as a seat of Esprit included in the price of the machine but again that CE spec... downright awful. You can have an older specification ladder installed where you can actually work on the machine with the door open but you have to sign a liability waiver and go through tons of red tape (the brass at mori LOVES paperwork!)

I've done a lot of work on both the T2Y (non-Y lower) and the T3Y3. As I said they are great machines. I worked for Mori for nearly 5 years and then for a distributor for a year and have logged many hours on the NZ, NT and NMV machines... let me know if you have any issues with it and i'll see if I can help out.

Ha, mapps 4 and the Jan/09 CE ! Believe it or not, our Duras came in with Mapps 4 and the new CE. Couldn't open the door, even in Op stop without hitting reset. The next batch came in and low and behold, you could. Took ladder file out of the two new ones, put it in the originals and walla, problem solved !

It's probably Mapps 4, as we are getting the Esprit thing with it too.

Yes, it's brand new, we've been waiting months for it to come off the "line" in Japan. At first it was ahead of schedule, then lost a bit and was only "on schedule", lost some more each time we checked it's progress and is now rather late. Especially as they shipped it to Sydney instead of here in Brisbane. Any day now, any day...

you guys are talking about the new safety standards what i don't understand is why the tailstock retracts when you open the door. If you run your finish pass oversized so you can mic. it and make a final adjustment the parts become scrap. I know a shop trying to hold .0002" and can't do it with the new moris. However with the Doosan's they can. Mori's are great machines but harder to work with and work on plus more expensive than many machines. I would stick to doosan or mazak atleast unless they adopt the new safety stuff mori has done which i suppose is partly due to the dmg merger as the germans over engineer safety items.

I was wondering how much of a hassle it is to install and remove the touch setter at each setup?
    How good/bad is the view through the door?
    Is the Esprit any easier/harder to use at the machine compared with a pc in the office (our machine will be at the far end of the workshop, furthest from the office)?
    Will there be a million parameters that need tweaking before I'm happy (like the Okuma's)?
    We'll be hooking up an LNS Move S2 barfeeder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the thrill View Post
    good machines. only downside is X axis creep - about .002".
    Can you elaborate further on your comment please? Circumstances, time, heat, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by zooloader
    I was wondering how much of a hassle it is to install and remove the touch setter at each setup?
    Been running a T2Y2 for about 6 months:
    Installation and removal of the setter arms is easy, and "seem" to be reasonably repeatable. However, if you need to touch off a new tool with parts already in either chuck is problematic as the setter is pretty tight to the face of the jaws. The setter behind the 2nd spindle is more of a problem unless you have really long arms. You have to manually jog the lower turret out of the way before you can reach it easily.
    Always turn off the setting function before removing the setter or you will hose your offsets.
    Load monitoring is your friend

Thanks for the pointers xenginebuilder.
    Our "3rd week of November install" forecast has been and gone. If the installation (when we finally get it) goes anything like our last two machines, we should just be making parts by the end of the month (Jan)!

HOORAY, it's finally here.
    It's pouring with rain again, so that made it extra fun for everyone unloading it.
    Placed into position very quickly by Websters. A very professional crew. They were all packed and gone by 11am. (They had to move another machining-center about 200mm as well, so it could fit on the one slab.)

Now the fun begins!

Bar feeding, sub spindle pull,

I’m trying to bar feed a long shaft and I want to use the sub spindle pull method. I have figured this part out the only thing that does not make sense is what do I do when the bar is on its last part before the bar reload? It looks like the sub will pull the bar out of spindle 1 and there won’t be anything to hold on to, also the part will be too long and left with an inch or so.

I hope this made sense

What brand/model barfeeder are you using?

We have an LNS Move S2.

There are many parameters that need to be set if you're using a similar style machine.

Overall feed length, Topcut position, End of bar position, No of pushes(or pulls), the length you cut your material for loading, all need to be set.

How does your barfeeder integrate with your lathe? Does it read the chuck clamp signals or an M code.

A topcut program needs to be called from your normal barfeed program when you reach the End of bar.

These are just some things you need to investigate and let us know what you have.

Does the make of the barfeeder matter or just the way the process is. Our barfeeder is an ATS. I don't currently use a top cut prg is this something I need to use? Im just really unsure how the process should be when using subspindle pull? Thanks for your feed back

Sub spindle pull changes thing only slightly. The bar feeder should be set up to count only, so yes, the type and brand do matter. The barfeed should load the bar, and start counting once it sees either mcode or chuck open/close. Every so many parts it should advance and check stock length. Once it get to the end, it should signal the external block skip, the program should then move everything out of the way so the barfeeder can push the remnant out, load new bar, and start all over again. Some low cost barfeeders are really not equipped to handle sub spindle work very well, some of those actually need to advance every part, that can kill cycle time.

If you are subspindle pulling there will be no remnant to push out. From what I understand the last pull will have your part and the length you were previously holding on to. Does this statement make sense? I'm using a NZ T2Y2 with a ATS ML 560 bar feeder

No, you will have a remnant usually, there has to be something in the main spindle when you do your last part off.

Ok I'll try running it and I'll make sure my barfeeder is set up correctly.
    Thanks for all you help

You may want to lengthen or shorten the bar length that you load into the barfeeder.
    As mentioned by underthetire, you need to be gripping in the 1st spindle to part-off your last part.
    On next cycle, the barfeeder will know there is not enough mat to make the part, and interrupt to load a new bar.

In your bar reload prg would that be just a generic reload or would you machine a part in that prg?

Page 1 of 2 12