584,858 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

high voltages

Hi
    I have installed my new tube using solder joints and then wrapping the join in silicon grease and silicon hv tape.

The tape is rated at 7000 v. Does anyone know if this is sufficient? I have used the laser without any problems for a week so I am assuming it is ok in combination with the grease? The power supply is a standard rabbit 40v laser power supply but I dont have any specs on it.

I am assuming the silicon grease is rated at a higher voltage is it is normally used to prevent arcing. Although there is no rating on the tube.

Anyway just curious- as the voltages are so high I want to be sure I am taking the correct steps. Ive seen videos on youtube showing bad cases of tube failure and arcing.
    rabbit / ls3040

The tube operating voltage is 15-16kV with trigger at around 20-25kV but providing your soldering is clean (no spikes) the insulation should be more than sufficient.

It usually takes a tube or wiring fault to cause arcing, or at least an aging tube that doesn't want to lase resulting in higher potentials than normal.

Zax.

ok thanks, the soldering was pretty good so I should be ok. I practiced on the old tube (a good idea, since it gave me an idea how long i needed to apply heat and how much solder to use. One or two seconds with a hot iron was enough)

I wonder how much heat it would take to crack the glass around the anode. It seems strange there isn't a neater solution to making a join. Solder and glass seems like a potential disaster waiting to happen.
    rabbit / ls3040