585,708 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thermal Dynamics cut quality?

These cuts were done with a TD A120 air plasma: 120 amp, 28 IPM, .19 cut height.
    Disregarding the pierce divot could I expect comparable or better cut quality with a Hypertherm 1650? I would like to see less bevel but realize that may be asking a lot for air plasma.
    In reading posts here and talking to others using Hypertherm machines I am not convinced that Thermal Dynamics consumable life is as good as they claim.
    I would be interested to see others cuts on 3/4 a36 plate as a comparison if some of you have them.

The Thermal folks have been good....... But I am questioning if it may be time to switch!

Thanks for any input, Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100B0370.jpg   100B0390.jpg  

Smile

TinMan,
    Right now, I am using cutmaster A-120 with the machine torch same as you.
    The edge cutting is very beautiful if I cut the thin material.
    I found some problem if I cut the annular of stainless with the 25 mm thickness.
    The inner circle have the high bevel at the edge.( not round)
    It sounds like cutmaster A120 is not suitable for the thickness > 20 mm.

Mongkol

The 1650 will produce comparable or better quality, about 2 times the consumable life and about the same cut speed at 100 Amps. Hypertherm's big claim is with consumable life.

The new Powermax85 with its new conical flow consumable technology will cut 3/4" steel at similar cut speeds (as the 120 Amp T-D process) using only 85 Amps......with even longer consumable life than the 1650. Techology is progressing.....you will notice when Hypertherm introduces a new system, it usually has a new torch design that provides better speeds, thicker capability, and more important, longer consumable life.

Jim

Hey Steve, is your A120 3 phase?
    www.metaltechus.com

Nope, Single phase.

I think the 85 is single phase. The 1650 is 3ph only. I can get good cuts with my 1650. Tolerance is .030" easily. I had some 3/4" A36 parts that needed -.010" or less and out of 30 parts I had 20 right on and the other 10 reached to +.020 easy fix with a belt grinder. I find I need to get closer and slower (and add some volts) to limit the taper. I would imagine the 85 would be even better. I think I might have some of those parts still here, if they are not painted, I will post a few pics.

WSS

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

I do have three phase here, that is no problem.
    I would appreciate seeing cut pictures.
    The only real concern on the 85 is duty cycle, it looks like 60 %.
    I wouldn't want to stop part way through a job for cooling time.

Thanks for the input, Steve

I will be installing a Powermax85 on my cnc machine in my home shop in the next couple of weeks. I plan on posting some pics of the install and of cut quality.

I doubt that duty cycle would be an issue in most cases with the 85 as the duty cycle is rated at full output power at maximum voltage at an ambient air temperature of 104 degrees F. I have used my Powermax45 beyond its rated mechanized capacity. Once did a 5/8" job that required over 100 pierces and slots on a hot summer day (well, hot for NH....maybe 90!) and never had a duty cycle shutdown. The 45 is rated for 1/2" maximum pierce when used with a height control system.

Jim

Steve, I did not have any photo-able 3/4" plasma parts. I will try to hunt down some test cuts for pics. I did look at the skeleton of a 3/4" sheet and have to say your parts look like decent cuts. The bevel is probably the same +/- in some cases. The last parts I did seemed to come out really nice with 3/4". I did them with 100amp parts, the kerf was wide, I will have to look at the tool setup in we-cim to see what it was..

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

3/4" steel cut pics

Hello Everyone,

This is an older post I copied from my build page....Well I cut some 3/4" low carbon steel plate today. It was a first for me in the 3/4" area. I also got my TD machine up and running again for very little money. The plate cut pretty well, didn't really know what to expect. I did eat up some of my nozzle tips rather quickly though. I was able to cut three to four parts per 60a tip. I ran the machine at 9 ipm 118v 70 psi, charged the client $50.00 per part, cut ten total. They seemed very happy with them. Here are some pics of the 3/4" tuning fork part....

I have a 60 amp machine and this was pretty much the max for it.... I think Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm machines are about the same on cut quality in my opinion. Hypertherm consumables probably last longer (2x 3x IDk) but its dumb to go buy another machine thats 2-4k for better consumable life when the tips cost $3.99. But if I didnt have a plasma machine already and was looking for a new one I would prob. buy Hypertherm. Consumable life is not important to me as much as cut quality(edge/dross).... I have thought about making my own consumables for my TD unit.(mass production) My friend has a small cnc lathe I could cut all my tips from a small peice of copper round.... Take one day and make a couple hundred and not worry about tips anymore....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00082-20100511-1623.jpg   IMG00083-20100511-1623.jpg   IMG00084-20100511-1623.jpg  

(2x 3x IDk) but its dumb to go buy another machine thats 2-4k for better consumable life when the tips cost $3.99.

I don't think consumables are 3.99 anymore........

Three or four parts per tip?...... WOW I would estimate I could get 10 to 15 of those parts with the a120 before losing cut quality.

9 ipm...... you must not have oxy-fuel.

Thanks for the pictures, I have never been able to get that kind of cut quality with any of my TD machines. From an 60 amp to the a120.