585,722 active members*
4,474 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How to get an Irregular Surface cut?

How to get an Irregular Surface cut?

Hey Guys,

I am new to machining, and I use AutoCAD. I have a part that has an irregular surface, basically it slopes dips rolls you name it. This surface covers about 2" by 30". Right now this part is represented in AutoCAD by about 1,500 points. Any Ideas on how I should process this so BobCad could mill? What is expected from me as a hand off to a CAM operator?

Thanks!
    http://www.dreamtone.org/cnc/Mechanical_Design.JPG

Is this for a guitar neck?

I don't know the answer, but maybe if you post some files someone can help you better.

vetsen

Quote Originally Posted by vetsen View Post
    Is this for a guitar neck?

I don't know the answer, but maybe if you post some files someone can help you better.

vetsen
    vetsen,

I think this will describe it better, picture some wet cement nice and smooth then you made a fist and lightly pushed it into the cement and then repeated this over again for about 30". This is the type of irregularity I have.

Thanks,
    Rob

WHat Vetsen means is there is too little information to be able to make an intelligent suggestion for you...

First you mention that your data is in "point format". BobCad doesnt have any regular automatic tools for making surfaces out of point cloud data... Other programs like Rhino have tools like this...

WHat BobCad will need to toolpath a 3d surface is a 3d surface, so the question is how to get a surface out of the data you have.. We cant answer that without the data....

If it's proprietary somehow, try to break out just a small section that doesnt give away the boat, but allows someone here to work with you.. If it's not proprietary, just post the file here...

Yes I can post the file, here a picture and the zip file attached as a dxf. The red lines represent 1" sheet to mill, and the black area is what I need to mill into the sheet. The material is upside down in this picture and also the black area are node point objects in AutoCAD2000.

Attached Files Attached Files

I have looked at your file, although my initial look with Rhino was going to take too much low level work for me to present anything.....

I will experiment with a few other things but it will take me some time...

Talk later.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I have looked at your file, although my initial look with Rhino was going to take too much low level work for me to present anything.....

I will experiment with a few other things but it will take me some time...

Talk later.
    Thanks for looking at my issue! I do appreciate any help with this and I know it is not a simple solution.

Hey RMS,
    Sorry, I've got nothing for you.... The little I know of Rhinos tools to create curves from point data would take me a great deal of manual lower level work...

I still believe there are some tools that can help to generate a surface structure from that Point Data you have there, I just dont know what that is....

Perhaps ask this in the Rhino forum or a general forum, where you may get a response from someone who knows this area...

Burr

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hey RMS,
    Sorry, I've got nothing for you.... The little I know of Rhinos tools to create curves from point data would take me a great deal of manual lower level work...

I still believe there are some tools that can help to generate a surface structure from that Point Data you have there, I just don't know what that is....

Perhaps ask this in the Rhino forum or a general forum, where you may get a response from someone who knows this area...

Burr
    I agree that it is time to move this topic.

Thanks!

I'm not too sure about this, but there might be a point cloud (MachCloud?) utility on the Mach 3 website that could be of use to you.

Martin.