585,581 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 Config file

I asked a while back if somebody could post their Mach 3 configuration settings. If you could attach your config file, even better. I am trying to get a little better performance from my machine. The main things I am looking for are motor tuning settings and Kernel speed. What is the highest Kernel speed you have been able to go up to in the config and not loose accuracy and/or smoothness.

A complete config would be awesome.

Thanks

Asking for someone Else's set-up is a big mistake
    As for motor tuning, this is done with you gecko's and specific to your motors and power.
    the kernel speed is somewhat irrelevant, and Dependant on the pc you have as well the whole of the system.
    The short of it is to tune your machine the best you can and tune for smooth and quiet, NOT SPEED !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Cruiser,

Thanks for your response. The reason I ask is to make sure things are close. My is a turn key IH and it had some configuration mistakes that took a very long time to figure out. Currently, the machine runs smooth up to 80 ipm (x,y,z). Above that, only individual x, y or z run smooth. I can run one at 120IPM all day long. Try to do x and y together and things aren't as smooth. Sometimes that leads to Gecko faults. I believe the Gecko's are about as tuned as they are going to get.

Based on the current config, the motor tuning in Mach gets flaky when at the upper limits. The Kernel speed is at 45Khz and rapids top at 124ipm. Based on the symptoms, it looks like it could be a config issue, parallel port issue or power supply issue.

I've read that you are using Smooth Stepper, do you think it's possible this may fix the problem if the parallel port is not able to handle to speeds I want?

Again, the machine runs fine if I keep things slow, but who wouldn't want faster rapids as long as they are safe? This would really help reduce production times.

Thanks

i think you'll be hard pressed to try and run faster that 80ipm in a cutting configuration. i find that i either run out of spindle rpm, or spindle torque, but rarely do i run out of travel speed. i guess if you built a router head than maybe you could use the faster rapids, but if thats really what your after then you probably have the wrong machine. these hobby level machines require some compromises. also you have to remember that these machines, require oil on the ways. i fitted my machine with an automatic oiler and cut oil grooves into the ways so it gets dispersed. also it may help to just loosen and readjust your gibbs as your setup may be different than when they adjusted them at IH.

also the tables and slide are quite heavy and i fear that if you want to push faster feedrates then you will need larger motors. larger motors will lead to a larger power supply and eventually will push you past the available power at your house.

It is all load and power availability for getting it to run out at peak. Peak is in the area of 100ipm for most systems. mine is stable at 100. I do run smoothstepper, but that is not it. If your gibs are set a bit too tight and or the gecko's are too tight and power supply is light (I got the biggest they had to offer), then the system will run as if over loaded. They also require a bit of break in period. My advise is run it where it is happy for now. read more. and later on when it feels looser then open her up and see how much more she'll do. Mine took a while to get where it is now.
    I forgot to mention that I can go to somewhere between 110 & 130 IPM but I can't leave it there. If I try to it will stumble and loose some position and then things get nasty. So I run it at 100 IPM and don't worry about it. But, there was a time that I had my limit set down around 80 for breaking it in or it would stumble. this is when I tried the MOLY treatment and got an increase. I looked for tight spots on the gibs and found warping from the once I used those nasty grubs in the middle of the gibbs. Take them buggers out !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

What's the nasty grubs you're talking about?

What computer is it running on? You should be able to run the Kernel speed way faster than 45 khz. My 1.5 GHz Atom processor runs flawlessly at the 100 khz kernel, though I set it at 75 khz as that is more than I need. Kernel speed was a factor back when processors were in the 500 MHz range a few years back. I don't think there is much of an issue any more...

The nasty Grubs are the bolts or set screws that are in the location to push on the side of the gibs for locking the axis. The pit fall is that they push a dimple on the grub side and make a rub spot on the opposite side which creates a localized friction point that can make setting gib to proper tension a *****.They can also warp or bend the gib too, which happened to mine and it does not take much force to do so.I took mine out and will not put them back.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner