585,737 active members*
4,639 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unknown Spindle

Does anyone know what company made this spindle? There are no markings on it.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Spindle Type?

Hi Bruce,
    That spindle looks an awful lot like a Reliance Electric motor of the same type we used to have on some drill resharpening equipment. You should be able to match it up depending on voltage input, frame size and shaft diameter oretty easily.
    Larry Hodson
    Midwest Circuit Technology
    Router Bits | Diamond Files | Carbide Drill Bits and Carbide End Mills | Carbide Tooling - Midwest Circuit Technology

It is a Taig I have one with the same spindle block, motor looks like mine but the give away is the hammer metal blue paint on the on/off switch. the plate it is mounted on is after market though. hope this helps
    Andy

Taig Spindle

Hey guys! Thanks!
    I guess I should have been clearer. I was only interested in finding out what the spindle block was, the motor is clearly marked.
    The rig you saw in the 1st pic is mounted on a homemade benchtop cnc mill (in this pic) that my Dad designed and built which is now in my possession.

Was wanting to get collet and drive belt info, maybe get a drill chuck for it. Now that I know it is a Taig it will be easy.
    Thanks Again!
    Bruce

the taig uses er-16 collets, the spindle thread is 3/4-16 if memory serves me, the belt is a gates polyflex belt #3M325

Taig has made 2 spindle versions

Hi There,

Taig's newest spindle is ER-16 but they made a proprietary spindle for many years before that. The spindle in the picture may or may not be an ER-16. To me it looks to be their older style. I have an ER-16 on my mill and the Taig spindle in the picture "looks" older to me. If the spindle thread is 3/4-16 it is not and ER-16. The ER-16 spindle has an M22-1.5 thread (metric - 22 mm dia, 1.5 threads per mm)

Google Nick Carter's site for all the details about Taig stuff you could want. The belts are Gates 3M-315 as a I recall... Nick also sells the belts. Nick can sell you collets if you need the proprietary Taig Collets.

Ian