585,954 active members*
4,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > CNC Wire Foam Cutter Machines > Larger Surfboard Blank foam Composite Plug cutter

Larger Surfboard Blank foam Composite Plug cutter

Ok post above made me think that I might need to reiterate the full idea.

I want to have a larger scale machine for cutting prime EPS blanks for surfboards, cutting plugs for composite vaccum bagging, and at most in the future I might retrofit it for cutting balsa although that is a secondary concearn.

The actual machine will have a MIG welded steel frame that will sit on the concreate floor and will have demensions on the order of X x Y x Z of around

8ft x 4ft x 5ft in a configuration like this but with a few adjustments in the cutting, materials, and layout for better stability and to eliminate flexing.

http://www.demandhotwire.com/twister.html

My primary questions now are

Size, type, torque, power of stepper motors?

Driver boards? Can I just build up 4 or 5 of the boards from Electronic Utopia? or do I have to go with something better like Gecko or Other?

Ballscrews or something like the Ball linear track system ?

Best program to use? I have access to Mach2, DeskCNC, turboCNC? Any suggestions on something that can control the motors and the rotating center section well.

Accuracy the best I can afford for under like a $thousand all together for the project.

I already have the materials for the frame and hopefully the motors above that I bought will work, also have all the computer stuff I need including power supplies(computer and otherwise) but dont have the Driver Boards/4axis5axis Driver setup?

Once again thank you for all of your help so far and the brainstorming and the jokes, VIPER, Fusion, Mac Knife

thanks again guys much luv.
    All suggestions and setting me straight are more than welcome. Love the pain!!!

:bat:

ashley

A little off topic, where you surf, how long been surfing? Have any pics of your boards? I have always wanted to surf, but now I just afraid of the ocean

Nono Guest
    That is a cool design. You should not need very much power for it and could build it for less than 1500.00(if you have the metal for the frame less$) Start shopping for motors under 4 amps and around 150 to 200 ounces. That will help keep the cost down on the drivers needed. You can buy geckos for less than 120.00 each but I think there are other drivers out there for less.. As for software Mach2. Gas pipe will work fine for linear rails and Acme screw of Just plain old threaded rod for the drive screws will work.
    Check out the jgro router plans for a Type of material list (dia gas pipe, skate bearings, Linear adjustors) You are right on the money for this project..

1) I don't think those motors will give you enough speed.
    2) If you can build something that big for under $2000, I'll be impressed.
    3) Get Geckos. You won't be disappointed.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)