585,975 active members*
4,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 18T work offset measure help

Fanuc 18T work offset measure help

Hello,

We just changed our machine to accept work coordinates as opposed to just using the work shift offsets. The machine was not set this way from the factory, so we changed it in hopes of making it easier to run two sided parts within one program without having to change the offset mid-program using a G10.

The issue is, when using the Measure soft key to set the 0 position of a work offset (say G54), the offset is adding incrementally. For example, if G54 Z is set to 0.0 and the machine absolute position is reading 1.0000, when I press Z0-Measure, the G54 Z offset is changed to 1.000. Great, but if I press Z0-Measure again, without moving any axis or changing tools, the offset in G54 will incrementally increase the 1.000 again and now read 2.000! Measure again and it changes to 3.000 (see the pattern?)

This is different than every other machine I've used. Does anyone know if there is a parameter that changes the mode of the measure key from incremental to absolute? Do I need to call up the machine coordinate system before setting the work coordinate offset?

Thanks!

A quick look thru the 18t manual and I could not find a setting on this. It seems like kind of an odd problem. Are you in G90 absolute mode instead of G91? G90 is typically default on the Fanuc controls once reset is pushed but if you were measuring midstream thru a program then it may get mugged up.

If you are looking at changing everything midstream with G10 do you need to use the measure function?

Stevo

Ultimately, we are trying to set the work coordinate systems in the programs using G10s, which will work right now. We would just have to be diligent about not pressing the measure button, or going to the work coordinate system page at all for that matter, whilest running a program.

The issue is if we are not running a program that has a G10 defined, and we want to set a G54 work offset. The way it is currently working, there is ample opportunity to change the work offset and not realize it, thus producing a large oops!

Would you happen to know of the parameters that control the measure or work coordinate keys? All I have is the list of optional parameters, not the total parameter list book.

First thing that I would consider would be to use G55-G59 instead of G54. Things can get confusing. G54 is typically default on the fanuc controls so even if you press reset G54 is still going to be active.

Have you tired the measure function in the G55-G59 and gotten the same results??

PM me your email address and I will dig up some manuals for you.

Stevo

Re: Fanuc 18T work offset measure help

I'm getting something similar. Except when I press 0 measure of the axis I'm touching off to, the shift values in the left side gives me bogus numbers. I know I'm not supposed to mess with the shift values but when I zero out on measure and my shift values go to for example -218.7, it kinda freaks me out. Any suggestions? I know this post is super old so hopefully someone sees this. Running a Ballard VTL with a fanuc 18-t. Also when I Goto offset menu and scroll, no where does it say G54-59. Granted a lathe/vtl only has/uses G54. Sorry just little flustered, been awhile since I ran a FANUC control.