585,665 active members*
3,763 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry 3axis to 5axis

Hey

Long time, I just have a quick query, can you change a model in the CAM-Part definition from Axis - 3axis to 5axis, currently this is greyed out. I know it probably needs some easy fix, but I am now moving the part onto a 5 axis machine, but everytime I Gcode out, it is not right.

I need that greyed out area to be active. I spent a few hours do a whole program, then realised it was set to 3 axis, now can't get the thing to change.

please help

pinguS

Hey there,

My version toggles between 3 and 5 axis ok so I'm just wondering if you need to select a different licence first on your set up ?

It depends on (a) how your license is set-up and (b) how your post processor is built. To switch between 3D and 5X your machine needs to have a full five axis post or you need to change the CNC controller in the CAM settings to a machine which is 5X capable. Some people have 2 different posts for their machine - a vanilla 3D and a 5X one (though I must confess I don't quite understand why).

Ok, I do have a partial 5 axis post, basically position and mill, no surface milling. However when I reprogrammed the part by selecting the 5axis post first, the greyed out area says 5axis.

But then I thought I try the post on the program that said 3axis, and the output was exactly the same, so now I'm wondering what is this selection box actually for??