585,951 active members*
3,777 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DNC protocol for BOSS9 R2E4

I have fully restored a Series I R2E4 to original electronics.

I have a need to use the "drip feed" method (DNC protocol) to work large programs.

I cannot find any documentation on the protocol. It's not just a matter of the correct COM port settings. I can communicate with the machine just fine, but I can never get the "DNC off" flag to turn to "ON", and I overflow the DNC buffer every time I try to send even one short block in the "load DNC" mode. (It's not flow-control, either, unless I'm missing something really basic).

Does anyone have documentation on the protocol? I can do the coding to build a software to do the work, but I need to know what to write.

Thanks,
    LLoyd

EZLINK software by Bridgeport through port B only at 4800 baud. 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, no parity, X on X off enabled.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

got a copy that will run on something other than COM1?

EZLink isn't a protocol, it's a program that executes a communications protocol.

The rest isn't protocol, either -- it's configuration. Baud rate, parity, start/stop bits, all that I have right already. I can upload programs smaller than the 12 buffer limit successfully.

That's why I'd love to know what - exactly - the Bridgeport DNC protocol IS...

LLoyd

DNC figured out.

I have the DNC protocol, now. As time permits, I'll document it for you.

It's both as complex OR as simple as you'd like to make it. Bridgeport guys figured out some nice "hacks" to make it work with just about anything.

LLoyd

I have the ezlink software but it is always warning that can open Com1 port , how can I define Com 2 port ?
    Alejandro

Quote Originally Posted by zam10 View Post
    I have the ezlink software but it is always warning that can open Com1 port , how can I define Com 2 port ?
    Alejandro
    You cannot do that in EZlink, but you can re-define the port assignments in the Windows system hardware definitions (control panel, system). It's no big deal, easy to do.

LLoyd

Thanks , I´ve already changed at Windows the Com port and know EZ link works ¡

Quote Originally Posted by lloydsp View Post
    You cannot do that in EZlink, but you can re-define the port assignments in the Windows system hardware definitions (control panel, system). It's no big deal, easy to do.

LLoyd
    Hi , thanks, It is now working changing the Com port asignated by windows , to Com1