585,949 active members*
4,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant pump not working

I was testing a program and everything was working fine. I haven't used coolant for about a week, so I flipped the switch to "manual" on the box to check the concentration and no coolant. I could hear a faint sound at the pump, so turned it off thinking it may have been low on coolant. It was about 1.5" from the top so it was good.

I read in the Tormach manual to check the obvious. Yes, the pump was plugged in. I even plugged it into a different, non GFCI outlet and the same thing so I wasn't going through the control board.

Is there anything I can check on the pump itself to see why it isn't working?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any feedback.

Try and turn the pump shaft with a pair of pliers. It could be gummed up. It may break loose and be fine.

It happens to me if I have not used the pump for awhile.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Took the top cover off the sump. Hmmmm, lots of skin. Most of it was to the right side of the baffle, while the pump is on the left. I pulled that mostly out and made sure the bottom of the pump inlet was clear. Wiped everything else off and it is now working.

I am knew to the regular use of coolant so I would still like any feedback from anyone on what I need to do to maintain the coolant system.

What is the "skin" I found in there? Will I need to remove that every few months? I use the machine several evenings a week, and as much as I can on weekends.

Anything else to prevent the skin?

I am using Tormach's synthetic coolant mixed to spec. I check it every week with a refractometer.

Thanks for the help.

Not sure what it's called, but I guess it's similar to how a fish tank grows algae. I found that buying the little rectangle air conditioners filters from walmart (needs to be cut to size) seems to clean some of this up, but would like to find something a little more grabbing. After cut to size, place them in the basket.

Maybe cutting one of the expensive larger air filters might help out more, but found this as a quick fix.

If you are running the mach3 software that tormach provided it needs to be plugged into the outlet that's on the tormach machine its self, its the left most 3prong plug in spot and the switch should be set on auto

Coolant Pump issues

My pump locks up dead if I don't use it very often.. .and I don't.. I do mostly wood, nylon and some other plastics, so generally don't flow the coolant.

I generally disassemble the pump mechanism, clean it, then put it back together again.

Also, if you tried to run with a stuck pump, the fuse will blow in the control panel... simple fix, but I did a lot of troubleshooting to solve that one.

The box gets grungy, and the coolant eats my paint.. I am thinking of refurbing the tank, priming it, then put some appliance epoxy paint into it... anyone else have issues with it??? Is there a better way???

My coolant pump stopped working and it emitted a faint humming sound when turned on. I considered the motor was burned out, so I ordered a new one from Tormach.

When it arrived I took the original one out to replace it. I thought I would plug it in to test it again. I guess the pump shaft was just stuck a bit because when I gave it a little twist it started working again. So, the old pump went back in the tank and the new one lives on the shelf.

I use OakFlo DSS T-Tech mixed 20:1. I have not had problems with paint deterioration, rust or scum. I usually just add water when the level gets low.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Tbkahuna View Post
    Took the top cover off the sump. Hmmmm, lots of skin. Most of it was to the right side of the baffle, while the pump is on the left. I pulled that mostly out and made sure the bottom of the pump inlet was clear. Wiped everything else off and it is now working.

I am knew to the regular use of coolant so I would still like any feedback from anyone on what I need to do to maintain the coolant system.

What is the "skin" I found in there? Will I need to remove that every few months? I use the machine several evenings a week, and as much as I can on weekends.

Anything else to prevent the skin?

I am using Tormach's synthetic coolant mixed to spec. I check it every week with a refractometer.

Thanks for the help.
    I'd seriously recommend wearing gloves when getting into your coolant after it sits. Scary what bacteria can grow in there. Get that into an open cut (no matter how small) and you can end up with a nasty infection.

A fishtank aerator will greatly help keep things fresh.