584,861 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gcode file samples

Hello all. I need some sample of Gcode in order to test a program I wrote. It's a statistical analyzer of CNC code that reads a cnc file and produces a report with many information.

The program try to desume an extimate of the total working time. In other words it try to calculate how long does it take to machine the worpiece. This is why I would like to try my program on files that have been already machined so the real working time is already known. This way I could compare my computed time withe the real working time.

I tested my code with NC files programmed in millimetetrs done with a CAM program and the total time copmputed by my program mtaches (more or less) the time computed by the CAM progrm. It would be interesting to test with other GCODE expecially if written in inches.

Can someone point me to some resource on the net where I could download some examples from ?

Many thanks in advance.
    Sandro

Smile

Hi Sandro,

you can just convert metric program to inch programs or get help from your friends to generate the inch programs in place of metric programs (the ones which have already run on the machine and has the cycle time) and test it. I do a lot of 3D programming for dies and aerospace milling but the programs are pretty large.

I' am also curious about your ways of finding the actual cycle time based on program analysis as each machine behaves in a different way and the response time in older machines is much slower than the new machines. How will you compensate for all this unless you can lay your hands on the acceleration and decelaration data / parameters of the specific machine ?

Yaji

Hi Yaji. You are right, without acceleration/deceleration data it's not possible to forecast an exact machining time. But, the goal is not to get a result accurate to the 100th of second but only a reasonable one. Let's say for example that a machining time is, 4 hours and 16 minutes.
    If the software will predict 4 hours and 20 minutes I think it's a pretty accurate result that will give a good idea about the time your milling center will be busy. Obviously if the predicted result is 6 hours... there is something wrong in the program.

The program makes a reverse postprocessing operation taking in consideration the Feed values it finds inside the code. I also provided a Rapid feed value that must be set by the user because the true rapid speed of a specific machine cannot be desumed by the GCODE itself (and often user doesn't know it either). It not only extimate the working time but also other (more or less) useful informations like tool position in each line of the code, some data about total motions, the bounding volume of the whole operation min and max feed and speed and other things. Il can convert the GCODE code to DXF also.

There is no structural limit on the size of the files to be examined but It's limited to 3x. Continuous 5x is not supported. I plan to add support for 3+2 axis in the future. If you have some sample data, I will be happy to test my code with them.

Sandro

Smile

Hi Sandro,

i have tons of programs whether 3D or 2D. 2D is actually generated by software but these are predominantly aerospace components where the paths can be ideally designated as 2D. 3D is all die mold programs. What do you want ?

The size of the programs will be pretty large in 3D

This is a commercial program you are testing or just hobby ? I have also been trying to lay my hands on some kind of application which can predict atleast 5% nearer to the actual cycle time. When the feed rates are on the higher side OR when the profile gets complicated, predicting cycle time becomes that much more tougher. Since there are too many variables (which can include size of the machine and its inertia properties) I wonder how one can get to make a generic prediction software work Its a genuine curiosity

yaji

Hi yaji. I f you can send me one sample of both 2D and 3D file I will use with my code. If privacy is an issue you can send me a private message in order to find a way to send the files. Size doesn't matter but I prefere huge files so I can check the performaces too. It's important that you already know the true cycle time but don't tell me its value. I will tell you the predicted time. The program is not commercial. When it will be reliable I will release it on my site so you could try it by yourself.

Sandro