584,837 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Quill getting scraped up on my Boss 9!

Oh no

My retrofit BP has been running smooth until now.
    I'm getting some scraping/rubbing on my Boss 9 (rigid ram) quill. It seems like it's only on the front. I just started noticing these scrape lines and it looks like it getting worse the more I use it. I recently did a head rebuild and replaced all the bearings, new belt and bushings. The spindle bearing were left alone. The two top housing pieces were also replaced because they were cracked. Not sure if this caused a misalignment?

Do I need to loosed some bolts on the quill or head and cycle the quill up and down to re-align it? Any help to realign this would be very appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020782.jpg   P1020780.jpg   P1020781.jpg   P1020774.jpg  

I don't think you have any control on the quill placement, but you could have let debris get in when you had it apart. Are the scratches just marks or can you feel them?

There is an oil line that just dumps oil up in the head casting for it to dribble down the quill, is that working?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I don't think you have any control on the quill placement, but you could have let debris get in when you had it apart. Are the scratches just marks or can you feel them?

There is an oil line that just dumps oil up in the head casting for it to dribble down the quill, is that working?
    Thanks for your help. There is defnitely oil in the lines and the quill gets drenched from inside with way oil. The scrapes are surface scratches going up and down and can be felt with your finger nail. They are no very deep. The thing is they are evenly situated on the front half of the quill so it appears that the quill is too far forward by a tiny amount. The back of the quill is clean and shiny. I looked in my manual and there is a section called "Allignment of ball quill and quill housing to drive motor housing" I'm not sure if this would help or not but I might give it a try. It seems like this problem is related the rebuild and the new parts on top.

I could be wrong but I don't thinkyou have control over the quill position. chips in the gap is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't thinkyou have control over the quill position. chips in the gap is my guess.
    Hi Gus,

The only thing that is making me question debris is the rubbing is occuring on the front half of the quill. It is somewhat uniform. The back of it is still shinny. Could the top 3 sections of the head be off center and be applying force to the ball quill then aplying force to the quill in one direction?

I do notice that when I cycle the quill/spindle up all the way into the head it gets a little harder to move as it goes up (when moving by hand). When I move it down it get easier to move. Is that normal?

I'm going pull the quill off and check for debris this afternoon first as you suggest.

not normal I don't think.

I mean it is possible that if the bearing for the ball screw nut were off enough it would cause problems, but compared to cutting load?

Gus, I think you were right about chips being the cause. I buffed out some of the scratches on the quill but the scratches on the inside of the quill housing are deep score marks that scratch the quill. There seems to be some kind of teflon like coating on the inside of the quill housing that the quill slides in and out of that I'm afraid sanding it off, but I'm not sure if it's just a smooth serface. Is there any technique to getting the score marks out of the quill housing? Unbeilevable what a few aluminum chips can do damage wise!