585,715 active members*
4,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New DeWalt compact router DPW611

After burning out two laminate trimmers on my small 3-axis CNC router [19x16-inches] I knew it was time to find a better router. Fortunately DeWalt has came out with their new DWP611, what they call a "compact router". It has 1.25 horsepower, 7 ampere, 16-25,000 RPM, soft start, variable speed control, electronic feedback so it can maintain a constant speed, and, best of all, two really bright LED's that illuminate the area being cut.
    DWP611 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router with LED's | DEWALT Tools

Another feature is that the motor shaft the collet attaches to is drilled out so a router bit [only 1/4-inch bits] shank can be inset into the shaft and not bottom out. This is great as then the cutting part of the bit does not have to extend so far from the collet. There is zero run-out on mine.

With the variable speed the router can run at slower speed so there is more torque, and WAY less noise. Compared to the 2.5 ampere 30,000 RPM laminate trimmers, this is a real treat.

The body is aluminum and is milled very well; the cap is plastic. There is a lock for the collet so only one wrench is needed. And finally a wrench that has rounded edges!

I cut some MDF first, then some pine, then some white oak. I used a Onsrud three-flute down-spiral solid carbide bit on all of them. The MDF and pine were easy, but I was pleasantly surprised that the router handled the oak and the variable speed control was on 2.5 out of 6. And the lack of the usual router whine was so pleasant.

I had the machinist make the mount thicker than the one that had been used for the laminate trimmers. I felt with more wieght [about 4-pounds] and the increase in torque, more surface area to hold the router was prudent.

I bought mine for $120 at Coast Tool in West Hartford, Connecticut. I only live 1/2-hour away so I drove up. Dangerous, better than being a kid in a candy store.

For woodworkers with small machines this DeWalt DPW611 will be a great addition. Its performance, plus those two LEDs are really nice. It will be especially helpful if you are cutting hardwoods and need the extra torque that a laminate trimmer cannot supply.

Attached are four photos, the last one did not use a flash so the LED brightness would show up. That is a 1-2-3 block in the photos, plus the last laminate trimmer.

photos

can't upload as some security token missing when trying to upload all four

plain failure notice when I try to upload one

search forums and see its a common problem, looked to see how to address these issues, gave up; too much contradictory opinions, complete lack of facts and/or procedures, into a phrase: too convoluted

Looks like an option, what is the diameter of the router?

Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    can't upload as some security token missing when trying to upload all four

plain failure notice when I try to upload one

search forums and see its a common problem, looked to see how to address these issues, gave up; too much contradictory opinions, complete lack of facts and/or procedures, into a phrase: too convoluted
    Maybe the images are too large an you are getting a bogus error/failure message?