585,885 active members*
6,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Checking tooling on T-Plus

I've got a SQT10M and I'm trying to make a bunch of little parts using a bar puller. I seem to hit hard spots in the material and I'll break 10 endmills in 20 parts then run 200 parts with a single endmill. After an endmill breaks though the machine continues to make parts which are all scrap. I can't be there watching it all the time to check the tooling, and anyone who has ever run a SQT lathe knows you can't hear ANYTHING when that mill spindle is running!

I know the mills have some sort of macro that checks the tool length at certain intervals and alarms out if something doesn't match up. Is there any similar cycle that uses the tool eye on the lathe, possibly before the bar is pulled but after the part drops? I've read the entire Mazatrol programing book for the T plus controller and don't recall reading anything like that. I haven't gotten to the real programming book yet though...

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or where to start looking to figure this out?
    Thanks!

Yes, this is done very easily.

For a Mazatrol program, make a Process Number (PNO) tool length setting ( I cannot remember exact name) after the end mill Process. Input which type of tool you are measuring--type 1, 2, etc. This is only a two line Process, so it's not complicated. You will then give a tolerance to each axis (say 0.010"). Anything over the amount you specify will alarm out the machine and stop. If you only tolerance the X axis, that is the only axis the machine will measure.

With end mills, you only wish to measure the length, so set that axis as the measuring axis. This may become an issue with larger end mills that need the flutes lined up with the tool eye.

Keep in mind, the tools need to already be manually probed to be checked automatically. The machine cannot auto probe a fresh end mill using this method as the machine RAPIDS to within 0.100" or so of the tool eye (parameter setting for clearance amount).

Slow down the rapid override the first time this process runs. The machine rapids full tilt toward the tool eye in auto measure mode. It WILL scare the dog crap outta you if you do not expect it.