585,908 active members*
3,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Hobbycam professional CNC CAM software for the hobbyist

Wink Hobbycam professional CNC CAM software for the hobbyist

For a limited time promotion - Hobbycam is available from ebay at £50. This is functionally the same software as Easymill (at £2500) but at a hobbyist's price. The item number on ebay is 250745347278, and the web site is Easymill CAM The milling Essential Solution.
    Hobbycam is a full featured 2D and 2.5D CAM software package.
    This special price is to introduce our new UK reseller RDLV Ltd - Home.

Best wishes for Christmas and 2011.

Shipping only in UK?
    Runar Holm, Norway
    www.maxmekker.com

judging by the ebay ad it can only post 60 times per year , am i wrong because that sounds messed up
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Your web site is a little hard to follow, could you answer these questions?

1. Is this a current version?

2. Will this be upgradable as the main product upgrades?

3. Which edition/s is this? (ie, Easymill Drilling, Easymill 2.5 axis, Easymill 2 axis, Easymill Turning, or some combination of these)

Looks good, thank you

After reading your RDLV web site you left out some vital information about for what you get for "this" Hobby price.

If I would not have ready your web site VERY carefully and bought the software going by what I read in your post I would be very upset in short order.

Your web site is a little hard to follow, could you answer these questions?
    >>> we have tried to make it clear - however we would appreciate any feedback you may have so that we can improve it.
    I would value your input on parts of the site that were confusing or unclear.

1. Is this a current version?
    >>> Yes it is the latest and current version of the software

2. Will this be upgradable as the main product upgrades?
    >>> Upgrades are available with yearly maintenance payments. So the answer is no, you would have to buy yearly maintenance to receive updates.

3. Which edition/s is this? (ie, Easymill Drilling, Easymill 2.5 axis, Easymill 2 axis, Easymill Turning, or some combination of these)
    >>> This version is for Easymill which incorporates, drilling, 2.5D, 2D, engraving but not turning.

We have these various products because we have had customers who just wanted to do drilling or 2D milling etc... and they did not want to pay for functionality they would never use. Most customers buy the complete suite as the difference in price between them is minimal.
    Looks good, thank you

Hobbycam Easymill

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMekker View Post
    Shipping only in UK?
    There is no shipping - Hobbycam is downloaded and can be used free for 15 days after which a key is required. The key is sent to you and is for use on the computer that runs Hobbycam/Easymill.

Hobbycam Easymill

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    judging by the ebay ad it can only post 60 times per year , am i wrong because that sounds messed up
    This is a special promotion, the difference between Hobbycam and Easymill are as follows:

- Easymill has unlimited post processing - Hobbycam limits are 150 post processing sessions per year. This promotion version has a limit of 60 post processing sessions per year. 60 Tokens is just over one design per week - for most hobbyists that may be sufficient, if it isn't then the full version of Hobbycam can be bought. We have not had a hobbyist run out of their 150 tokens per year yet.

- Easymill can have an unlimited (PC is the limit) number of tools used - Hobbycam (and this version) has a limit of 15 tools used.

- Easymill does not need to be connected to the internet - Hobbycam (and this version) has to be connected to the internet to verify the tokens - 150 in the full version and 60 in the promotion version.

- Easymill can post process to any number of machines - Hobbycam (and this version) is limited to post process for one machine. Machine shops may have a number of different CNC machines but it is very rare for hobbyists to have more than one CNC Milling machine.

- Easymill has the first 3 months support free then support is available with a yearly maintenance contract. Support for Hobbycam is available from the Forum.

This promotion has been launched to help commercial organisations try out the software for a longer period than the free 15 days.
    For Hobbyists the low price and the functionality offered make it attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by El$syd View Post

This promotion has been launched to help commercial organisations try out the software for a longer period than the free 15 days.
    Wouldn't it just be easier to extend the free period to say 30 days (typical of try before you buy software products) that the brain dead option you do offer?
    Regards
    Geoff

Hobbycam Easymill

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    After reading your RDLV web site you left out some vital information about for what you get for "this" Hobby price.

If I would not have ready your web site VERY carefully and bought the software going by what I read in your post I would be very upset in short order.
    We have tried to include the limitations as fully as we could. However it gets difficult to balance the limits with the benefits. Hobbycam/Easymill do so much that if listed the benefits would swamp the limitations of this promotional offer.

If anyone is unhappy or feels that they have been 'ripped off' I will gladly refund the money they have paid. We do not want to upset anyone!

I have posted the limitations in reply to another question. But include them here too:

- Easymill has unlimited post processing - Hobbycam limits are 150 post processing sessions per year. This promotion version has a limit of 60 post processing sessions per year. 60 Tokens is just over one design per week - for most hobbyists that may be sufficient. If it isn't sufficient then the full Hobbycam with 150 tokens may be bought.

- Easymill can have an unlimited (PC is the limit) number of tools used - Hobbycam (and this version) has a limit of 15 tools used.

- Easymill does not need to be connected to the internet - Hobbycam (and this version) has to be connected to the internet to verify the tokens 150 in the full version and 60 in the promotion version.

- Easymill can post process to any number of machines - Hobbycam (and this version) is limited to post process for one machine. Machine shops may have a number of different CNC machines, it is very rare for hobbyists to have more than one CNC Milling machine.

- Easymill has the first 3 months support free then support is available with a yearly maintenance contract. Support for Hobbycam is available from the Forum only.

I think that the price differences between the products will help show the value of this promotion - this is the same functional product excepting the above limitations.

Easymill £2500, Hobbycam £375, Promotional Hobbycam £50.

Quote Originally Posted by tumutbound View Post
    Wouldn't it just be easier to extend the free period to say 30 days (typical of try before you buy software products) that the brain dead option you do offer?
    For most companies who want to seriously try out Easymill - we have found that 15 days is sufficient time to do so. For commercial organisations we also offer a live PC demo using their own DWG/DXF/IGES files.

We have configured this special offer to promote Easymill. Up to now Easymill has only been available in French, so was only bought by French speaking nations. Easymill has been available for the last 10 years and is now at version 7.

This promotional offer is for the same functionality, with the limitations discussed elsewhere on this forum but at an affordable hobbyist's price.

I too have looked at the software, but how can it be considered professional when it cannot handle 5 axis and has no plans to do so ?

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hobbycam and Easymill with 4 and 5 axes

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    I too have looked at the software, but how can it be considered professional when it cannot handle 5 axis and has no plans to do so ?

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Hi - Good question, Easymill does handle 4 and 5 axes, but in 2.5D only.

Thank you for the information, but I think you have misunderstood the hobby market.

I might generate g-code several times a day, as I make small, simple parts. A package which has a pay-as-you go model is completely useless to me, and I'd run out of the original credits within one to two weeks.

Hobbycam post processing sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    Thank you for the information, but I think you have misunderstood the hobby market.

I might generate g-code several times a day, as I make small, simple parts. A package which has a pay-as-you go model is completely useless to me, and I'd run out of the original credits within one to two weeks.

Thanks for your input - our experience with hobbyists using Hobbycam is that they have not run out of tokens.

I'm with Ron, I make mistakes a lot of mistakes lol. I would burn up 15+ just getting the output just right on 1 model. I guess I'm just slow...
    Does V-carve use this model?

I wrote Easymill

I just found out that there is a full discussion about my product around here.
    I'm Stéphan Hales, the author of Easymill.
    I read quickly some of the posts, it looks quite aggressive to me.
    It even make me think, that the posters may not be totally objectives and neutral.
    But anyway, I'll try my best to give informations to readers and here are some answer about how we see the CAM market we address.
    Of course you know that there are a lot of different CAM product.
    Common professional product claim to be able to handle the most complex cases.
    While Hobby product try to handle problems by use cases with one product per type of use.
    I believe that the result of this is that, still today, the professional products are generally expensive and quite complex to use.
    And, that hobby products are basic, restrictive, and sometimes very modular (one product to draw, one to plot, one to engrave, one to…).
    What I want to propose is a solution, design for professional who want to handle every day cases, in a very fast and efficient way.
    And the final objective is to kill the inefficient but still actual "on machine" programming.
    So indeed, those objectives does not fit with the hobby market, were you may have time to write your programs and you may even like it very much.
    So even if easymill was not designed to do 4/5 axis continuous machining, it is a professional product in that it enables any machinist
    to program simple or complex parts very quickly.
    It offer:
    - a very easy and powerful tool,
    - it does include a never seen before UI to design “explicit” geometry
    - it does include Solvesquiss which is a tool to draw “parametric” entities
    - it is a standalone product that does not require any CAD product to work,
    - however, it can read and use, DXF, DWG, IGES, STEP, STL, OBJ (and others) files,
    - it can do milling and lathe programming,
    - it can be customized to target any CNC brand,
    - you can learn it easily by yourself.
    - A tool who brought a lot of productivity in any of the shopfloor it was implemented.
    So, Ok, it does not do helical gears easily, but so what ?
    I do not think that not already equipped professionals have only those kind of parts to machines...
    And I also think that it does not really matter what a software package can do, what matters is what people can do with it.
    A lot of expensive and powerful software are never used because it takes a lot more time to program a hole with the software than it takes to program on the machine directly.
    So this is what Easymill offer, What about hobbyist ?

The Hobby offer was implemented because I had been asked to do so by downloaders.
    This hobby offer, is exactly the same software, (even if we called it Hobby-Cam).
    It does include either: full options for milling or turning or both for a very lower price.
    The main restriction is that you can post-process a certain amount of times per year.
    It is more than 60 times (which was corresponding to a very special offer), I will not write exactly how many times here because, even if there are no plans for that: it can change.
    I read on these pages a lot of very hard comments about this.
    The truth is: those who use easymill for hobby, never reach the yearly amount/year (by far).
    Those who ran out of use are professionals who bought the hobby version to try for a longer period, but they usually moves to the pro version before the end of the first year.
    So despite the comments, it works perfectly.
    Now, of course, there are different products, for different prices. One has to choose products that fit within one's own constraints and requirements.
    Easymill is free to download and to try.
    We put a lot of effort, to have you understand very quickly if the product meet your needs,
    We design easymill to be really easy, we propose demos videos, tutorials, personalized online demos and so on.
    Most of our users, managed to make programs without any training at all.
    They realized on their own, that the time spend to program their machine could be really reduced by a very easy tool.
    But you are not obliged to believe, nor to try, nor to buy !
    Stéphan Hales