585,948 active members*
3,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Incorrect STL dimensions

Today I just finished getting my fireball V90 setup and have done numerous test cuts on it using some emc test files. All was well until I tried to take some simple 3d models and have meshcam make some g code out of the .

I am using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2011 student edition to generate 3d models. For my first test I simply made a rectangle in inventor 4" x 2" x .38" as a standard .ipt inch file and then exported it as a .STL file.

When I opened meshcam V4 it imported the file just fine and I could see the 3d model on the screen. However when I clicked on the define stock button and clicked fit to geometry it told me I needed a piece of stock that was over double the length, width, and height. For some reason meshcam thinks the files have these ridiculous dimensions when they don't.

So I thought maybe the model was wrong and preceded to try many different models that I have made. Every single one of them had very incorrect dimensions..... I then thought that meshcam v4 was the problem so I downloaded v3 and it still has the same problem.

Does anyone know what the problem is/may be?

I've attached the .stl file anyone with meshcam please look at the dimensions on it. It should be 4x2x.38 for the block dimensions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

your rectangle measures 10.16 x 5.08 x .965
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Inventor is exporting in cm's. There's should be a setting somewhere to output it in inches. Worst case, you can scale it in MeshCAM by 0.3937007874015748031496062992126
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the input guys. It turns out that inventor was in fact exporting in centimeters without my knowing.

For anyone having this problem with inventor the solution is very simple.

First open the part you want to machine

Then go to file -> export --> CAD Format ---> under "Save as type" click the menu and select .stl as the file type ---> then at the bottom click the options button and another window will pop up ---> in this window under "units" change it to inches instead of centimeters and click ok. Now when you save it inventor will have exported it in inches not centimeters which will work with meshcam.

Thanks for the help!