585,712 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ID Mold Threading profile

Hi,
    I'm searching a way to code this thread profile in FeatureCAM using turn/mill module.

It's an ID thread as you could see :

I want to grind this thread with a custom made borazon cutter. The complete turning assembly is made of 2 half-cavity blocks.
    I tried to make a turn/mill feature, using boss but without success. The process is similar as a standard ID thread, except it's made at very low speed, perpendicular entry with an external surface and out the same way, the cutter, mount on a grinder, is use instead of a threading tool... don't know if you would know what I mean...

Since I'm a newbie in CAM, I'm here asking if it could be made. If so, I'll appreciate some help.

If you need any further information to help me out, just ask it.

Thanks very much!
    Wiseco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thread2.jpg   Thread1.jpg  

I cut a similar thread for a glass jar using hand crafted gcode. Since I'm not making a mold, the leadin/leadout isn't necessary for my application. It should be pretty straightforward to make.

To match the exact profile of the thread I'm using, the head would have to be tilted to match the helix angle. Then the part would have to be on a rotary axis. For my application, that doesn't matter. For yours, it might.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Yeah the grinder will be at angle to match the helix angle.

The setup I want to use is a CNC lathe, so blocks will be mount on the spindle.

I can made it manually on a regular lathe, but it's too long to achieve.

If anyone can show me how to do this job on a CNC, I will recognize it.