585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Guitar Design using photos into Rhino

Guitar Design using photos into Rhino

Hi All,

names Robbie from RIM Custom Basses in the UK, I currently trying to draw my custom bass templates using Rhino. I understand it will be better to upload photos and work on the designs this way. Im looking to build my own cnc machine next year and want to profile and cut out all the neck pockets and pickup cavities.

Ive downloaded the rhino demo and managed to upload a couple of photos, just cant work out how to delete the background and highlight the profile of the guitar shape

Any help would be great,

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...d/IMAG0508.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...d/IMAG0503.jpg
    My lastest work, 6 string marseer Custom

It's not quite that automatic, Robbie

You can bring in a JPG image as a background bitmap using the (you guessed it) Background Bitmap command, but you need to trace over it by hand, using the InterpCrv tool, to get a profile you can work with in Rhino. It doesn't take that long, and it works a lot better than any automatic raster-to-vector translation tool I've ever tried.

Nice axe!

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by rim basses View Post
    Hi All,

names Robbie from RIM Custom Basses in the UK, I currently trying to draw my custom bass templates using Rhino. I understand it will be better to upload photos and work on the designs this way. Im looking to build my own cnc machine next year and want to profile and cut out all the neck pockets and pickup cavities.

Ive downloaded the rhino demo and managed to upload a couple of photos, just cant work out how to delete the background and highlight the profile of the guitar shape

Any help would be great,

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...d/IMAG0508.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...d/IMAG0503.jpg
    My lastest work, 6 string marseer Custom

Cheers for that, ive been having a go today and tracing out the design seems quite easy. Is there a tool to smooth out all the points, cheers.

Robbie.

Yes, try the Rebuild command

Cheers for that, ive been having a go today and tracing out the design seems quite easy. Is there a tool to smooth out all the points, cheers.

Robbie.
    You can reveal the points of your curve (F10) and shove them around by hand to get as close as possible (zooming in helps - use the Z command and draw a box around the area you want to look at more closely). Then turn the points off (F11), highlight the curve you want to smooth out and Rebuild with fewer points. You can also smooth part of the curve by turning on the points, highlighting the ones in the bumpy area, and using the (you guessed it) Smooth command. Of course, if you want to preserve some sharp corners, keep those as junctures between separate curves, just make sure to snap the new one to the old one using the End Osnap. You can join them up later.

Andrew Werby

Cheers for the help Andrew, ive been using the lasso command and smooth tool which seems to work well, i have a new issue when trying to design a guitar fretboard today using lines i couldnt seem to get the cursor to lock onto control points. I was looking at a guy on youtube building a fretboard and he seemed to have this function sorted, his cursor would highlight in red. gridsnaps are no good to me when the measurements are in between grids. Can you help me to figure this one out

Cheers,

Robbie.

You need to find the Object Snaps

If you have points laid out on the edge-line where you want your frets to go, use the Point osnap function; that will make the line start at the point. If you're just trying to snap to the edge-line, then use the Near osnap insread.

Andrew Werby

Cheers for the help Andrew, ive been using the lasso command and smooth tool which seems to work well, i have a new issue when trying to design a guitar fretboard today using lines i couldnt seem to get the cursor to lock onto control points. I was looking at a guy on youtube building a fretboard and he seemed to have this function sorted, his cursor would highlight in red. gridsnaps are no good to me when the measurements are in between grids. Can you help me to figure this one out

Cheers,

Robbie.