585,715 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KM3P: Blue Smoke released from display

KM3P: Blue Smoke released from display

I turned my KM3P on today after a couple of weeks of nonuse and neither of the displays (text or graphics) came on. I'm pretty sure I saw/smelled smoke coming from the Ultimax unit before I turned it off.

The lights on the console light up as normal, but there is no sign of life on the displays. I cranked the contrast, but still nothing. Neither of the CRT filaments light up. It isn't obvious (to me) where the smoke came from.

Any advice on troubleshooting this?

UPDATE: I opened up the console, cleaned out all of the swarf, jiggled all the connectors, then did the same for the electronics cabinet. Put it all back together and now the text CRT comes on, but not the graphics CRT--although the filament IS now lit up.

R470 and C442 on the graphics-side PCB (the one with the graphics CRT flyback on it) are a bit charred, but I don't know if that is recent.

So, I'm still looking for some troubleshooting advice, although the conditions have changed a little.

-joel

Check that the ribbon cable on the graphics card on the CPU is on the right way round (brown wire to pin 1). Then check the same cable where it plugs in on the console and finally the 10 way ribbon to the display. All should have brown to pin 1.

Thanks, Bloke. I just checked and the ribbon cables (all) have brown on number 1 pin.

According to the troubleshooting table in my manual, I should check the LED on the fron panel cable connect board. I did and it IS illuminated, but it also says (if the LED is not illuminated) to check pin 1 of J53 on the FPCC for 24V. I do not have 24V there (but maybe I shouldn't because the LED is illuminated...

-joel

Well, lacking the time and expertise to troubleshoot my graphics display, I bit the bullet and purchased a new (used) unit and installed it into my max-2 console. It worked just fine.

So, now I have a (green) CRT and slightly-toasted board that I'm willing to give to anyone (for the cost of shipping) that can use it. I'm pretty sure that the trouble is in the flyback transformer. The filament on the CRT does light up. It is the older-style, original equipment board, not the newer replacement board made by Z-Axis that Hurco sells now.

If I don't get any takers in the next week or so, it is going to the recycler as shelf space in my shop is precious.

-joel