584,802 active members*
4,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

oscillating tangential knife

Hi all,

I have seen other threads inquiring for construction of an oscillating tangential knife. I am lookinf for an off the shelf pre build one that I can adapt to the cnc table that we are building.

Thank You,

Hi,

I hate to be a thread bumper, but is there really no off the shelf knife solution to build your own cnc cutter?

Thanks

What is your application?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Al,

I will be cutting softer polyurethane foams. Kinda like the softness that would be in your coutch. Thicknesses from 0.250" to 1.500"

Thanks

I suspect that you may have a problem finding an add-on of this type, due to the requirement of integrating the rotating knife into the X,Y axis for interpolated moves.
    I can see a table manufacturer building and designing the whole table with built in cutter head?
    Even if a off the shelf add-on is available, it would require some integration it into an existing unknown system.
    That would be my take, anyway.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Have you though about a CNC hot wire instead of a osc saw?

Used hot wires for cutting hard foam before and I know you can get a "knife blade" version. You could just mount this on your cnc head and go to town. Eliminates the extra hardware needed to make the saw blade go back and forth.

Forgot to add some links

Not sure if these guys would sell just the head or not but the do offer it for their machine for small cuts

COMAGRAV oscillating tangential knife

Another more DIY idea for thicker stuff would be to mount a jigsaw to your head and just let it run as the mill moves it around.

some folks are using a commercial handheld hobby ultrasonic knife as well.

We have a cnc continous band saw made by baumer http://www.baumerofamerica.com the problem is that it makes an entry and exit. We would like to be able to just plunge into a sheet and cut our drawn geometry. Good thought though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wireb View Post
    Have you though about a CNC hot wire instead of a osc saw?

Used hot wires for cutting hard foam before and I know you can get a "knife blade" version. You could just mount this on your cnc head and go to town. Eliminates the extra hardware needed to make the saw blade go back and forth.

Some where out there I saw a hand held jig saw that you could steer the blade. Basically the blade was on a swivel that could rotate in the perpendicular direction of the blade movement. Wish I could remember what brand it was.

You could mount that do a plunge then steer the head based on what direction your moving in the foam.

I think the hot knife may be the simplest add on that would allow you to plunge and cut a shape.

Here is the Uline brand version
    Foam Cutter, Hot Knife Foam Cutter in Stock - ULINE

4" cut depth and rated for soft foam (adjustable temp)

There are a ton of other vendors that make similar units with different size and shape blades

Just make sure you have good ventilation and don't leave it unattended when cutting.

Thank, I have seen the hot knifes. A few problems, one the fumes on polyurethane is toxic an second those won't cut the fabric laminated to it. Thanks though

pen plotter

I'm not having any luck finding something either, but I'm thinking of using a pen plotter to draw out the pattern on the foam and then cut it by hand. I think I can rig something up to cut vinyl fabric and thinking it would be nice to also use a pen on it to draw the seam allowance.