584,800 active members*
4,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 144 of 158 4494134142143144145146154
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 3151
    Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    On my website is a gallery of photos I took at a Makerfaire in Raleigh, NC a couple of years ago. It's at the bottom of the homepage. There were lots of Makerbots and other 3D printers there.
    Carve,

The MakerBots in the pictures are 2 or 3 generations behind. This is still the crazy growth phase of 3D printers.. I'm sure someone will get it all figured out and start selling them at WalMart, but until then just figure that everything changes daily, and that you will never be caught up. So when you are ready to start building, get the most current design you can find, and go with it.

-C

Quote Originally Posted by Miata2k View Post
    Carve,

The MakerBots in the pictures are 2 or 3 generations behind. This is still the crazy growth phase of 3D printers.. I'm sure someone will get it all figured out and start selling them at WalMart, but until then just figure that everything changes daily, and that you will never be caught up. So when you are ready to start building, get the most current design you can find, and go with it.

-C
    Yes, I know. There's a 5th generation Makerbot Replicator that is roughly the ~ 8" x 10" x 6" working area I would like to have. They are nicer looking now than in the past. $2,899 is a bit of a stretch for me though. If that's a ready to run price and I find a way to pay myself back with it I might go that way. I'll spend some time reading before choosing something to buy or build.Are you using PLA filament mostly?
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I love deltabot especially if you watch the videos on youtube posted by Russ...
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Here's a new project I started this weekend after purchasing 50 bdft of walnut and 12 bdft of maple this past week.Good thing I have a commercial account so I don't have to purchase at box store pricing.. These are skill mounts which I was contracted to make 20 pre-finished and 10 unfinished. The unfinished will be done in maple which has a nice fine grain and these will then be hydro-graphed. If you haven't heard of this process is kinda neat, so do a google search on it.
    Colten Edwards http://www.cncsigns.ca

Are you using PLA filament mostly?
    Carve,

Sorry not to get back to you sooner, I missed this message..
    I started out using PLA because I didn't have a heated bed. When I built my first true 3D Printer, I added the heated bed and started working with ABS. I'm having some success with it, but some really bad failures too. I have good luck when I'm printing large shapes, anything with long (1+ inch) straight lines works great. If I have to print small parts (less than .25") I have problems getting them to stick to the bed. There is also a fine line between keeping the part cool, and over cooling the part.
    During one of my prints, I saw that it was getting kind of soft, so I pointed my 3" desk fan at it. In just a few seconds, I could hear the part cracking.

I think once I get all the cooling figured out and get the auto bed leveling install I'll be able to print both ABS and PLA. I think the PLA might still be easier to print, but I like the material properties of the ABS.

As I was doing some youtubeing over the weekend, I found another 3d printer to watch, the "BerryBot3d". I think if you and Widgit are going to move to the world of 3D Printers, this is the way to go.

Check out his posts, videos, pictures on this thread.
    VIDEO POSTED! Details about the BerryBot3D

I haven't been through it all yet, but it is for sure not a "tiny little wimpy thing". This is someone that took the time to build a real machine, and do it right.

I hope it was okay that I took the picture from his other post.. Shhhh, no one tell him.
    Attachment 221106

-C

Quote Originally Posted by spyderxxx View Post
    Have a look at Hoss's printer build.
    I hope I haven't offended anyone, I didn't want to sound like other machines were not great machines. I follow all of the stuff Hoss does, he does great work and has produced some great looking stuff. I really like his collection of miniature mills.

I was just saying that most machines are based around 3d printed parts where the BerryBot has a more "Machine Shop" design to it. Something that a guy with a Bridgeport would like to build. I'm really impressed with the magnet ball end design, and the 2nd generation hot plate he build from his own design.(not the silicon pad)

Personally I barely have enough time to tinker on my machines, so anything anyone else builds that is the least bit different impresses me.

-C

Quote Originally Posted by Miata2k View Post
    I hope I haven't offended anyone,

C
    Sorry Miata2k.

My reply wasn't addressed to you. Since C1 wanted a larger 3D printer I wanted to point out Hoss's as an option.

Ed

Sorry guys, I've been missing in action lately. Thanks for the references to the 3D printers. I won't be doing any planning for it until later in 2014. There's a chance that I can get my big machine frame and related parts painted on Saturday and putting the machine back together will take a while to complete. The printer build won't start until afterwards.

Meanwhile, I tweaked the Celtic weave 1911A grips just a wee bit. My machine probably won't reproduce this very well, but it's fun to create the stuff anyway.
    CarveOne

Thanks for the references to the 3D printers. I won't be doing any planning for it until later in 2014.
    By that time it will all have changed, anyway!

Love those grips - are those the full size grips or the smaller ones? 1/4 inch or 3/8 material?
    "72.6 per cent of all statistics are made up on the spot." - Steven Wright

It's the compact grip set that will be about 1/4" thick. I have it set up for material of 0.30" x 4.5" x 5.0". I hope to cut one with no logo first, then make adjustments as necessary. Then cut one with the logo.

There is a good chance that my big machine's frame will get painted tomorrow. I'll be very busy with that over the weekend.

Yes, I know. There's a 5th generation Makerbot Replicator that is roughly the ~ 8" x 10" x 6" working area I would like to have. They are nicer looking now than in the past. $2,899 is a bit of a stretch for me though. If that's a ready to run price and I find a way to pay myself back with it I might go that way. I'll spend some time reading before choosing something to buy or build.Are you using PLA filament mostly?
    Checkout solidoodle. I was going to buy a makerbot but after comparing them over and over the print quality is just as good for thousands less.

Skeletonized Celtic Triquetra Cross

This is something I made to take to the Aspire Camp at McGrew's in May. The size is 3/4" thick, ~10" wide, and ~15" tall.

There is another similar size skeletonized Celtic Heart Cross in the works. I need to pick up a piece of red oak for it tomorrow. The gcode file is ready to cut.
    CarveOne

I took a couple of sunlight photos of the Triquetra Cross to eventually upload to my web site.

The local Lowes Home Center didn't have any 1 x 12 red oak that was worth buying, so I glued together two pieces of 1 x 6 x 15" from a board I already had in the shop to get 11" width. Tonight I'll get it ready to cut the Celtic Heart Cross first chance I get.
    CarveOne

The skeletonized Celtic Heart Cross is about 75% cut as I post this, and it is going well so far. Photos later tonight.

Skeletonized Celtic Heart Cross

It's pretty rough. The Rotozip blades are not the best cutters to skeletonize these with. I really need to find some good 1/8" straight cutters that have 1" of cutting length and get them on order. Lots of sanding will required this time.
    CarveOne

Hey that does not look bad. Still dreaming of the day that I can do that well.

Thanks. I like the Celtic knot designs no matter which form they take. I'll take these to the McGrews Woodworking Aspire Camp in mid May for display there along with some other shop wall display items.

Keep at it and you'll be making stuff like this also. I just do it for the challenges and education I get from it. The smiles you get will be worth the effort.
    CarveOne

Sand, file, and sand, file some more. Almost half the day spent on it and it's about halfway finished. It is much smoother now. Lots of tool marks to sand flat due to the Rotozip blade cutting dips. I looked for a long reach 1/8" end mill with no luck today. I'll try looking again tonight.

Widgit, my back hurts, my fingers hurt, my butt hurts, but at least my knees are holding up ok.
    CarveOne

C1

If you don't mind buying from China you can get 10 solid carbide for $2.40 each.

10pcs 3 175mm 1 8" 2 Flute Carbite Spiral END MILL Cutter CNC BIT 25mm CEL | eBay

Ed

c

Page 144 of 158 4494134142143144145146154