585,567 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Surface Finish

I am fairly new to Pro Machining. I took a class a while back on Wildfire 3 which is what we are using. I don't get much time on the software because we only use it for more complex geometry. I ran into some issues this past week on some parts that I was working and was wondering if someone had some suggestions. In the pictures you can see that the finish around the main body has some scallops that I couldn't figure out how to fix. I did a surface mill using a window and setting the max depth. My thought was maybe to stop the mill window short of the main body and use a trajectory mill to finish out that area. The picture shows the bottom side but I had the same problem with the top side. The last picture shows that I was able to remove the problem area by filing and sanding. I was really hoping that I could machine without all the hand work.

Bernie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7227.JPG   IMG_7228.JPG   IMG_7232.JPG   IMG_7246.JPG  

Bernie,
    The marks are from the stepover value set in the parameters.you change that and the marks shoud dissapear. there is another parameter that might help called wall scallop height. if set will make the marks smaller or dissapear. I try not to use the scallop height parameters because it adds a lot of time to programs. I just calculate the stepover value to clean up the cutter marks. (Example)A 1/16 diameter end mill with a step over of .003 should leave a cusp height of .00004 when using the surfacing routines.

Thanks for the reply, I was able to go back and look at the paramaters and I had the step over at .002 and the scallop height at .0002 and what the program produced was in the pictures. I am already finished with the parts but have been playing with the program to see if I can produce any different results on the screen play. I built a sequence using "Finish" and that cleaned up most of it from the looks of the screen but it has a bunch of retracts that I haven't been able to remove. I went through all the parameters changing everything but it still does the same thing. Am I using the wrong sequences? I am still VERY green at this although I have been machining for 20+ years now.....maybe you can't teach an old dog a new trick???

Thanks Bernie

I'm wondering if a pencil finish toolpath would clean those fillets up?

Don't know your CAM package, but have seen that toolpath strategy used for such a purpose. It's either that or call attention to the beautiful quality of your Tig welding, LOL!

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

the Finish routine seems to always create a lot of retracts. Don't know why but it does.
    In wildfire 4 I believe they added a parameter called equidistant passes to the finish routine that steps over and down the same amount each pass. That works very well for parts like yours. I see marks like what you have in your pictures all the time when surfacing. Usually the step over parameter is the cause. you could add a profile pass to the end that would make 1 pass around the diameter of the body that might clean it up and wouldn't take much time.

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    I'm wondering if a pencil finish toolpath would clean those fillets up?

Don't know your CAM package, but have seen that toolpath strategy used for such a purpose. It's either that or call attention to the beautiful quality of your Tig welding, LOL!

Cheers,

BW
    Bob, I am not sure what a pencil finish and I couldn't find anything in our package like that, maybe a trajectory toolpath might be the same thing.

There is no welding on that part, it is a solid piece. We are not allowed to do any welding on these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldude328 View Post
    the Finish routine seems to always create a lot of retracts. Don't know why but it does.
    In wildfire 4 I believe they added a parameter called equidistant passes to the finish routine that steps over and down the same amount each pass. That works very well for parts like yours. I see marks like what you have in your pictures all the time when surfacing. Usually the step over parameter is the cause. you could add a profile pass to the end that would make 1 pass around the diameter of the body that might clean it up and wouldn't take much time.
    Yeah when I was testing the finish tool path I say that. I was actually thinking the same thing with the profile tool path. Man I am in need of a mentor...lol. Thanks for the help.

Bernie

Bernie,
    I have been using Pro Man since 1998 and I still am learning stuff!!
    I would also suggest joining the forum on MCAD central.com they have a section specific to Pro Engineer and Pro Manufacturing. Not that this forum is bad but there are more knowledgeable people including some techies from PTC monitoring those forums that are very helpful.

Bernie,
    I also have vice jaws Like yours with divots in them from playing with Pro manufacturing .LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooldude328 View Post
    Bernie,
    I also have vice jaws Like yours with divots in them from playing with Pro manufacturing .LOL!!!
    Unfortunately those are not from the Pro Man those were caused by me....oops.

Quote Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
    Bob, I am not sure what a pencil finish and I couldn't find anything in our package like that, maybe a trajectory toolpath might be the same thing.

There is no welding on that part, it is a solid piece. We are not allowed to do any welding on these parts.

Bernie
    Bernie, the welding part was a joke. (chair)

Here is a brochure that refers to pencil tracing in the package:

http://www.performancees.com/Website...lti.pdf?&k=340

Unless that is a different module? Again, not that familiar with your package.

Here is a quick description of what these pencil trace toolpaths are all about:

Pencil milling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems like if you wanted to clean up those fillets, this toolpath strategy would be ideal.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I second what Bob has stated. When I first seen the pic, the first thing I thought was, "looks like he needs a pencil toolpath". I've used them in the past with varying success, but I have no knowledge of your cam program or its capabilities.

bernie,
    A lot more Proman help for you in Mcad Central I See. Seth is a ptc employee that monitors that board. And Tony J. is An employee of Tristar (I believe) the biggest PTC var. Both are extremely knowlegeable with Pro/Man.
    Hope they were able to solve your problem.

I would recomend using a surface mill sequence with cut lines. you could set your step over to a large value such as 30% cutter diam and then allow the scallop height value to control the actual step over. I would set it at .00005 or smaller to get a very nice finish. [I rarely use the finishing sequence I prefer surface milling or the pocketing cycle.]
    Attached Files Attached Files

hi

i am not sure but you could try using surface milling/follow contour/closed loop and pick the surface outline.

then go buck to the parameters and use spiral scan type

or use trajectory milling and do not use the part or any surface to gouge check against.Maybe it will gouge a little but ignore it.

scallops

Another thing that affects finish is the tolerance. Try setting it to .0001 and the scallop to .0001 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
    I am fairly new to Pro Machining. I took a class a while back on Wildfire 3 which is what we are using. I don't get much time on the software because we only use it for more complex geometry. I ran into some issues this past week on some parts that I was working and was wondering if someone had some suggestions. In the pictures you can see that the finish around the main body has some scallops that I couldn't figure out how to fix. I did a surface mill using a window and setting the max depth. My thought was maybe to stop the mill window short of the main body and use a trajectory mill to finish out that area. The picture shows the bottom side but I had the same problem with the top side. The last picture shows that I was able to remove the problem area by filing and sanding. I was really hoping that I could machine without all the hand work.

Bernie