584,805 active members*
5,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Manual control of MC-2100 treadmill motor controller?
Page 1 of 2 12

Manual control of MC-2100 treadmill motor controller?

There are oodles of "how tos" on adding manual speed control to an MC-60 motor controller board. I'm trying to find something similar on the MC2100 -

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/IR...14_MC-2100.pdf

but nothing turns up. The treadmill I "re-purposed" gave me both the motor and 2100 controller, and I'd like to use the 2100 if it's not too tough to mod for someone like me who has not much electronics knowledge. It's going on my REAL low tech South Bend 9C if it matters.

Thanks,
    Andy

It looks like you need a PWM circuit for manual control?
    A simple set up with a 555 timer should work, if you want to put one together yourself,
    Google 555 timer PWM should get you all you need?
    If you are using Mach, you may be able to use the PWM output to control the spindle by M3 and S value.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Will I get booted from here if I admit to this being used for <gasp> manual motor speed control?

Hope not Because that's where it'll end up, either on the lathe or drill press.

Andy

The 555 circuit with a pot should give you the Man. control you want.
    DPRG: A Simple PWM Circuit Based on the 555 Timer
    Except you don't need the whole circuit or anything after pin 7.
    I don't know of anything off the shelf.
    Al.

Albert E.

Here is one that may do the trick.
    K8004: VELLEMAN INC.: Education & Hobby
    You would need to eliminate the power section components and just use the output of the IC.
    Al.

Albert E.

I know this circuit needs to go between the green and blue wires of connector H2 -

GREEN- This wire brings the speed sensor signal to the console. This is a pulsing 0, 5 VDC signal as the treadmill is
    running. When the treadmill is at rest, this voltage may measure either 0 VDC or 5 VDC.
    BLUE- This wire carries the square wave speed control signal from the console to the power board. The duty cycle of
    this 5 VDC signal is used to set the speed of the treadmill. At the maximum duty cycle of 85% (meaning the 5 VDC
    is being sent 85% of the time and not being sent 15% of the time), approximately 4 VDC can be measured. At lower
    speeds, a lower voltage will be measured.
    NOTE: Many digital multimeters have difficulty measuring this square
    wave signal. They may only show a maximum of 1.5 VDC when the treadmill is set to its maximum speed. What is

important to see in this instance is that the voltage goes up as the treadmill speed is increased.

The way I have read into this is to connect pin 2 of the 555 chip to the blue wire? That should fool the 2100 into thinking the treadmill belt is running, right? That would get the motor to spin, but at a set RPM. Then the question on how to vary the speed of the motor.

Is it cost/time effective for me to tinker with the, or should I pick up a MC60 for $60 and be done with it?

Another question or option - I have a couple of 24vdc 3A computer power supplies. Could I daisy chain 4 of them together to get 96v, then use something to vary the output voltage to control the speed of the motor?

Thanks
    Andy

I wouldn't bother PC with power supplies.
    If you are not Electronically inclined, you may be better off to pick up one of the KB or Baldor DC motor controllers off ebay, if you shop you can get real deals, these are mains fed SCR drives so they do not need a power supply.
    What is the size of your motor?
    Al.

Albert E.

Damm camera is crapping out so I can;t get a pic of the dataplate. It's a permanant magnet "treadmill duty 2.65hp 130vdc", "cont duty 1.5hp 90vdc. Neither p/n on it (G-190528 or N-1CPM 138T) comes up with a cross reference, but "Proform 545" returns a bunch.

I know about the KB drives, but would rather not spend the $100 +/- for it.

Thanks,
    Andy

I notice the MC-2100 board also mentions a tach feed back, if your motor does not have one, it could be a problem using this controller?
    Al.

Albert E.

I got here because I have the same board/motor that I want to use in a lathe also. Wouldn't it be possible to use the part of the console that supplies the PWM signal to control the speed. I haven't looked closely at the console, I was trying to use just the controller board, but I will go after that tomorrow.

Manual control of MC-2100

Hi all. New to the forum and am not an electronics expert. I found the info on this thread very helpful in working through a solution for using the MC-2100 controller board with a treadmill motor. The only thing missing from what I can tell was the need to set a static frequency of the modulated square wave being sent by the 555 timer. Attached is the circuit I used to finally get by Mc-2100 controller board working without the original treadmill console.

I used a 556 dual-timer. The first half of the timer circuit set the frequency. You can tell you have success when the MC-2100 controller board begins to flash. My understanding is that the board will not recognize the signal until the frequency is set correctly. So if the LED is not flashing, the controller is not going to work.

the second half of the dual timer modulates the duty cycle or width of the pulse (as shown earlier in this thread).

Again - I would not even classify myself as a strong electronic hobbyist. So I welcome any modifications, corrections, or suggestions.

I just wanted to share what worked for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

manual control of mc-2100

Hi Dan,

I'm trying to reproduce the circuit to provided above using the same control board. I don't have the 8 pin wiring harness, however, so I can't interpret the color-coded instructions. Could you please list the order the the wire colors from top to bottom if you have this information available? Thanks.

Sorry for the resurrection, but I've been working on setting up an MC-2100 control board for my old manual lathe. In the process, I goofed and shorted a couple of the input wires together last night, and smoked the R2 resistor. I'd like to replace it, but can't read the color bands any more cause they're all black... Any chance one of you guys could take a look and tell me the proper value? Thanks in advance!!

Here's the resistor I'm talking about:

Link

Re: Manual control of MC-2100 treadmill motor controller?

I have a MC-2100 and treadmill motor that I'd like to use on my milling machine.

Is anyone willing to sell one of these PWM circuits or do you know where I could purchase one ready to use?

Re: Manual control of MC-2100

Quote Originally Posted by dan4307 View Post
    Hi all. New to the forum and am not an electronics expert. I found the info on this thread very helpful in working through a solution for using the MC-2100 controller board with a treadmill motor. The only thing missing from what I can tell was the need to set a static frequency of the modulated square wave being sent by the 555 timer. Attached is the circuit I used to finally get by Mc-2100 controller board working without the original treadmill console.

I used a 556 dual-timer. The first half of the timer circuit set the frequency. You can tell you have success when the MC-2100 controller board begins to flash. My understanding is that the board will not recognize the signal until the frequency is set correctly. So if the LED is not flashing, the controller is not going to work.

the second half of the dual timer modulates the duty cycle or width of the pulse (as shown earlier in this thread).

Again - I would not even classify myself as a strong electronic hobbyist. So I welcome any modifications, corrections, or suggestions.

I just wanted to share what worked for me.
    Hi.. I built this circuit but cant seem to get it to work right. It pulses until c1 is charged then stops. if I pull out c1 and hold the leads together to discharge it then put it back in it pulses againg until c1 is charged again. I've checked my wiring several times and can't find anything wrong with it... Any suggestions?

I have a acquired a MC2100 for experimenting with a 8pin Picmicro to drive it.
    Can anyone confirm if it runs without the rpm sensor, If not can anyone shed light on the resolution and nature of the tach.
    Al.

Albert E.

Not quite finished the pic version but evidently the MC2100 uses a L.F. 20 Hz PWM command, there is some circuits out there, I just want to keep the component count down using the pic.
    Those in the link are generally to high a PWM freq.
    Al.

Albert E.

Completed the 8 pin Picmicro version for the MC2100 , Two P.B. implemented for Start and Stop, a start will run the motor wherever the pot is set to.
    PCBway made up the circuits boards for me.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al are you selling your 8 PIn Picmicro boards ?
    tks
    animal

I could send you one, did you want a populated or unpopulated, with just the Pic processor?
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 1 of 2 12