585,715 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > Mori AL-2 Turret Indexing and X Home Problem

Mori AL-2 Turret Indexing and X Home Problem

I really appreciate any help I can get on this, I am very familular with newer mills and lathes but I am a little lost on this one.

To start, since I recieved the lathe there was a memory error and I had to result to clearing the entire memory out and re-entering all the parameters manually. I have checked and rechecked the parameter and I am pretty sure they are correct but I still have a few problems before I can make chips.

1. The turret is currently in postion number 2 and no matter what I do I can not get it to index. The turret light is flashing like it wants me to manually bring it to postion number 1 but it will not index. When I select tool postion 1 and hit then index button in get the red error light with the question mark above it. The book refers to 3 error lights on the panel but I only have 2. If I match up the picture it says I have Error 3 which means the slideway lubrication oil level falls below the specified. I checked the way lube and it is full. I also check the hydrualic fluid level and pump pressure which is also good. As soon as I hit reset the error goes away, if I hit turret index it will come right back again? Is there a way to manually release the turret so I can index it to the number one postion like on a newer machine. I also briefly tried to cheat the postion 1 sensor in the back to see if that would do anything and it didnt seem to help.

2. When I home out the X axis I think it is operating incorrectly but I am not sure. As it travel toward the home postion the sesor goes just passed the plate and then starts to move at a slower rate back down the plate in the X- direction. When it reaches the bottom of the plate it stops and the machine reads home. Isnt this backwards? The Z axis rapids toward the plate and as soon as teh sensor reads it it starts to slow down and continue traveling in the Z+ direction until the sensor reads open. That is home for the Z. Why are the operating differently?

Question 1

One more thing, when I view the counters page, line 20 C76 reads 0 for both the preset value and the current value. From what I read this is correct after a memory reset but I thought I would let you know just in case.

The machine may have been reversed in X axis in the field. That was common in the early days to match old equipment. By re-entering the parameters to factory spec, you may need to switch some cables around. Post the control type and i'll look tonight. I do have Mori procedures for X axis reversal. The turret problem could be counters, since it uses those for position.

Still Trying The Turret

Ok so I must not have cheated the tool 1 position sensor well enough the first time because I did it again this time "correctly" and since the turret was already clamped I got a solid green light. Problem now is I tried to index the turret, it unclamped, started to move, and stopped dead. My guess is because it did not come off of the sensor I had cheated. Now I am stuck between two tools and I have the same problem as earlier. Every time I try to index the turret to home I get the error light and nothing happens. I can reset the error and it stays off until I try to index the turret again.

Control Type

Control is a Fanuc 10TE

I also checked the counters page and since I cheated the sensor it is reading tool number 1 even though I removed the cheat and the sensor is not met.