584,849 active members*
4,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Deep grooving surface finishes

Deep grooving surface finishes

Hello,

I am making a groove that is close to an inch deep on a side in 304 SS material and I am using a groover that is 1.25 long. I am using a feed of .002 with a SF/M of 200 which usually works good for most grooves.

With this extra long tool though I get dimples on the sides and sometimes chatter in the bottom. Is there anyway to get a nicer finish or is this just the nature of such a deep groove?

The toolmaker is Seco and these are the suggested feeds and speeds.

Please provide:
    Picture of application (include part, tool, and work-holding)
    Picture of dimpling and chatter (if possible)
    Vendor part number for tool and holder
    Chuck pressure
    Distance from end of work-holding to beginning of groove.
    Groove width
    NC code (the whole program, from the machine)
    Machine serial number
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Are you using a grooving insert that is the same width as the groove and doing it all in one plunge? I always use a smaller insert and rough out the groove first then couture the groove to it's final dimension. I've never had any problems doing it this way. I have, however, had problems doing the one shot plunge method.

Ron,

I finished the groove and everything is fine but I had to do some sanding to get my corners smooth enough.

The piece is 6.625 OD and was turned down to 4.850...the groove width was 2.469.

I used a .155 wide insert and the depth on this tool is 1.25...It seems like this extra long parting tool just doesn't like to cut nicely like my one that is only .625 long.

I actually had to use a grooving tool because they wanted .375 radius typical in the bottoms of the groove. I am just wondering if most people experience the squealing and bit of chatter I did when using this kind of tool and if theres anyway to prevent it.

Parting tools are for straight plunging only with no partial cutting i.e. taking a .06 wide cut on your .155 wide insert. No profiling. You need something with a screw clamped insert like this Iscar tool: CGHL 53-12D. Check carbide depot for price., but expect to spend around $550 for the blade, block and insert.