585,761 active members*
4,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > BEGINNER EDGECAM (ENTITY DOES NOT LIE IN PLANE OF CPL) ERROR!

Unhappy BEGINNER EDGECAM (ENTITY DOES NOT LIE IN PLANE OF CPL) ERROR!

Hi there my name is Didier. I have just started using edgecam, and have transferred drawings from 2010 solid works in .dxf/.dxg format to 2009 edgecam.
    I onlt import the "top" in to edgecam as i am only milling in 3 axis. However, after "projecting the part in the z axis and I switch to manufacture. I high light the holes and click hole operations for milling and it does not recognise it or do anything. However it will perform "profiling" and "roughing". After entering the info for tooling etc. It give me a message of 'Entity does not lie in plane of CPL'
    for every move in the operation. can somebody help me and tell me what i am doing wrong?:tired:

Hi didzbartholome,

If I uderstand you correctly your trying to click on circles (holes) to select them for drilling.

You need to have a POINT to drill at.. or circle to use an arc centre.
    Both achieved in deign mode by creating geometry..

Also check that you are using the correct CPL (top tool bar).

Then you say you "projecting the part in the z axis" by this do you mean TRANSLATE ?

Hope this helps..

Quote Originally Posted by xray34 View Post
    Hi didzbartholome,

If I uderstand you correctly your trying to click on circles (holes) to select them for drilling.

You need to have a POINT to drill at.. or circle to use an arc centre.
    Both achieved in deign mode by creating geometry..

Also check that you are using the correct CPL (top tool bar).

Then you say you "projecting the part in the z axis" by this do you mean TRANSLATE ?

Hope this helps..
    Hi there Xray.

Thanks it did shed some light on the subject and worked on the hole problem. however it started giving the same error for the roughing and profiling. Does this mean i would have to typically click on every arc and hole and recreate geometry? Is there no easier way to just import it and have all the geometry recognise just by clicking and high lighting the whole sketch?

By project, i merely gave the part "thickness". Should i rather be using the translate function?

Thank you very much for your time and patience on this.

Smile

Hi,
    You need gemoetry for everything unless you have a solid model and you can use feature recognition but this still requires a fair bit of work.
    A lot of the time 2d geometry is all you need unless your doing 3d profiling ofcourse..

If your profiling and roughing make sure that you create as much continuous geometry as possible that way you only have to click the profile once to select ALL the lines and arcs, etc... its under the geometry menu.
    Make sure everything is correctly trimmed or you will get errors...

Also worth remembering that you can undo right back to the start with edgecam.. :-)

Giving geometry a thickness isnt really required if your only 2d profiling and drilling.

REMEMBER..
    Edgcam is a powerful software but take the time to learn it and you will truly benefit.
    There are lots of shortcuts but you need to understand the priciples behind the processes and you will soon be rattling off parts and code..

Im still learning every day and this forum is THE best place for you to learn.

Regards.. xray34

Okay, Im getting the hang of it or understanding the "logic" slowly.

Again, Thanks

Would you mind if i contact you in future should i need any further assistance?

Glad to be of help,

I learnt a lot from here
    [http://www.camforce.com/Services/Downloads%20old.htm]

watch the videos, they are for older versions of edgecam but ALL relevant.

Regards
    xray34