584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Lost Don't know where to start. No Job No CNC Experienc

Lost Don't know where to start. No Job No CNC Experienc

I graduated from college and has a lot of bad lucks of finding work. Now I want to get into CNC field but I see job postings they require years of experience.
    How do I get into CNC ? Do I need to go to a trade school or get a certificate or something ? Please someone guide me. Thanks

Does your degree relate to machining?

This trade starts slow and builds upon experience,
    no substitute for "time in the trade"

It may take 5-10 years to get a good chance at a future in CNC

Start by hanging around a shop for free,
    but you may starve waiting for the opportunity.
    Been doing this too long

What I did to start in CNC was lie, I told that I had 1.5 yrs of expirience. so the company where I work send me to a training and thats where I started. the only experience that I had before that was at school where we only did 1 program, by hand and in a notebook.

Any journey starts with a first step! Make a goal, start education training, offer free labor for on hands experience (be persistant) and keep positive metal attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
    How do I get into CNC ? Do I need to go to a trade school or get a certificate or something ? Please someone guide me. Thanks
    Trade school helps. One thing they stress is safe operation. Large machine tools are dangerous and potentially deadly. I've seen a couple of close calls involving experienced machinists, even calculated risks will catchup eventually.

Do some research on the places you apply. There are shops out there that don't deserve good employees. Without experience, find a good shop and get a foot in the door operating a saw or or de-burring or general help. Express an interest in being a part loader on one of the cnc machines. Good employees get noticed and smart employers recognize the one's worth investing training.

That's if you seriously want into the trade. My advice is become an accountant
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

ginboxmail: Have you consider this?

Quote Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
    I graduated from college and has a lot of bad lucks of finding work. Now I want to get into CNC field but I see job postings they require years of experience.
    ---------
    It depends where you’re located, and how much you’re willing to pick up on your own, such as principles of machining, blueprint reading, dimensioning and tolerancing, and handling basic measuring tools. All of this is available to you via Internet or in a book form, and if you are serious enough about getting into the CNC career, you can get the theoretical part behind you in just a few months which will make you a more desirable hire in any good job shop even without chip making experience.

Why? Because, anybody can be trained (in a day or two?!) to push the buttons on MCU all day long, but few would start pushing those buttons knowing anything about the things/points I suggested above. However, while there is no substitute for hands-on training and experience, your sincere interest in a CNC machining career will be readily recognized by most potential employers in need of a good employee that’s interested beyond just a paycheck.

Just my $.02 worth of answer to your above question!
    Good luck!

Trade ? vocational school is the best start. But if yo can find a small shop owner operated , you could train there for cheap ( I started at min wage) after voc school

Re: Lost Don't know where to start. No Job No CNC Experienc

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Does your degree relate to machining?

This trade starts slow and builds upon experience,
    no substitute for "time in the trade"

It may take 5-10 years to get a good chance at a future in CNC

Start by hanging around a shop for free or check this site,
    but you may starve waiting for the opportunity.
    These recommendations might really help me. It's nice to find them even years later.