585,977 active members*
4,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mitee grip question

has anyone here ever tried this product if so how well does it hold???

http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html

I am looking at a rfq on some small 6061 parts (2 or 3 inches per side) that would have to be machined on 5 sides. if this stuff works it could significantly reduce machine time.

your feedback would be apreciated.

I have used it and it does hold pretty well. Keep in mind though for a few things. Can your part take the heat to activate or release the part? The temp required isn't extreme but if you're doing some thin wall stuff, the part may move.

Another thing is don't "stand up" the part a long ways from the surface thats being used to clamp it. You can't be that aggressive since your part is now "flapping in the wind" so to speak.

And be sure the base (or the "fixture) is plenty thick so it won't move from the heating. That way you'll ensure a "repeatable" set up and consistent parts as you go through the motions.

:cheers:
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

well the fixture plate I am planning on is 1/2" cast aluminum plate. for the initial cuts I planned on adhering a 1-1/4 inch thick 6061-t6 plate to the subplate and milling the outside profile's of about 50 aprox-1-1/5" x 2" parts as well as drilling and tapping them.

then to machine the sides i planned on machining pockets the exact size of the parts into another subplate and either drilling and tapping hoes on the sides for mitee bites fixture clamp screws or using mitee grip in the pockets if it is strong enough.

Not sure that I'm totally "seeing" what you're doing but it sounds like it should work. But if I'm picturing this right, I think the clamps will be easier to run the parts in once you've attached the part to the fixture plate.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Are your blocks standing 1.25" tall? How much stock is coming off as you mill the periphery?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    www.kodiakcuttingtools.com

ok I'm planning on cutting the outside profile for small parts out of 1-1/4 inch thick plate.
    I'll step down in 1/8 inch increments ramping down so as to avoid dwell marks using aproach moves at the top and bottom. also going aprox .100 into the subplate to insure proper parting. when I am done there will be aprox. 50 individual parts on the table measuring 1-1/2 x 2 x 1-1/4 tall.
    they will be held down w/mitee-grip.
    then I plan on drilling and tapping holes in the blocks
    (these processes might be reversed depending on the reliability of the mitee grip)

after this process I think I was fairly clear about the rest of my plans

oh btw I plan on using a 3/8 inch cutter for the initial cut

You can call Mike McCarthy at Mitee-Bite and he can help with your application. The catalog does not list the holding power. 1-800-543-3580
    Thanks,
    Dave
    www.kodiakcuttingtools.com

FIRST TIME POST

TRYING MITEE-GRIP FOR THE FIRST TIME ALSO JUST A LITTLE LEARY OF HOW THIS STUFF WORKS.
    DO I HEAT THE SUB PLATE THEN STICK THE PART ON OR DO I HEAT THE PART AND THEN STICK TO THE SUB PLATE????

I would heat the part also, this way you know it melts the material (wax) and is going to hold.
    We use this all the time in the shop (we make our own)
    Most of the time we heat both at the same time, but you need to have the part melting the wax or it won't hold.
    Welcome to the community, hope this helps.

Re: mitee grip question

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pete View Post
    I would heat the part also, this way you know it melts the material (wax) and is going to hold.
    We use this all the time in the shop (we make our own)
    Most of the time we heat both at the same time, but you need to have the part melting the wax or it won't hold.
    Welcome to the community, hope this helps.
    Can you clarify how you make your own?
    Are you using the compound stick?
    Thanks
    Doug

Re: mitee grip question

I think the catalog mentions 40lbs holding power, with slightly more for the mesh based product.